Golden Pass day trip & Lucerne mountain visit

• pm6163
    Participant
    3 posts
    22 September 2016 at 2:23:35 #810143

This forum is very helpful in planning my trip to Switzerland.

A few questions:

1. I will be stayed in Lucerne for 2 nights, day 1 is a short train ride from Zurich, would like to visit the mountains in the area, which do you recommend, Pilatus, Mt Rigi, or any other area?

2. I plan to take Golden Pass as a day trip from Lucerne, is that too rush? one way will take 5 hours from Lucerne to Montreux.

Suggestion are welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pm6163
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 September 2016 at 3:46:36 #856131

Sorry, to be clear, Golden Pass Lucerne to Montreux (return) is planned for day 2.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 September 2016 at 6:57:24 #856132

Hi pm6163, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. You’ll find our recommendations on the Lucerne page. There are lots of details about each mountain so you can see which one is of interest to you.

2. It would indeed be a whole day on trains. It’s a personal decision whether that’s too much for you. The ride is wonderful though. Please see the Golden Pass page.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 September 2016 at 7:32:03 #856133

Hi PM6163 –

<<” I plan to take Golden Pass as a day trip from Lucerne, is that too rush? one way will take 5 hours from Lucerne to Montreux.”>>

It seems that you have been checking the timetable and can see the 5 hours and 8 minutes required for the Golden Pass routing:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

If not, you can use it to help answer your question. If you enter Lucerne or Luzern as your start point and Montreux as your destination, without entering anything in the “via” or “connections” box, the computer will default to the fastest route between start and destination.

( I prefer to use the German spelling, since that is what you will see on signs in the German speaking regions including the area surrounding Zürich and Luzern; Lucerne is the French spelling and you will likely see that when you are in Montreux.)

In order to get the plan for the trains on the Golden Pass Route, you can use the “Advanced Search” option and put in two intermediate stops. Use Meiringen ( between Luzern and Interlaken Ost, and also Zweisimmen ( between Interlaken Ost (IO) and Montreux).

Lots of details in the tabs at this URL:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

If you choose not to use the advanced search option, you may search twice…Luzern to IO via Meiringen and, separately, IO to Montreux via Zweisimmen.

You will see “Luzern-Interlaken Express” which runs on the the Golden Pass route as the default for that section.

That part takes 1 hour and 50 minutes.

A map can help you visualize these routings:

map.search.ch/

A map of the route is also available in the footnotes, once you have expanded any single journey by clicking on the “+” sign to the left of the journey in the first screen that appears in your search.

Once you have reached IO, the computer will want to route you via Spiez and Visp, then along the Rhone Valley. That takes 2 hours and 15 to 20 minutes via Spiez and Visp.

The routing is also offered – IO-Bern- Lausanne – Montreux takes 2 hors and approximately 40 minutes

The route via Zweisimmen takes 3 hours 13 minutes or 3 hours 44 minutes. These sections have delay due to track work, and a bus is substituted for part of the trip. A nuisance if you have luggage to load and unload; not a problem on a day trip.

The purpose of this anaysis is to show that you might return from Montreux to Luzern on shorter routes, which could save some time compared to the Golden Pass Routing. For example – the routing Montreux to Luzern, without any way points selected in the timetable, goes through Lausanne (change trains) thence to Luzern via Bern, Zofingen, etc., using high speed sections of track and takes 2 hrs 37 minutes once per hour at xx23. Or, there is slightly slower route -3 hours 7 minutes via Olten, with two changes departing Montreux at xx48.

Is it too rushed?

That depends on you. 5 hours 8 minutes to Montreux, and the fastest return of 2 hrs 37 minutes adds up to 7 hrs 45 minutes on the trains. How early do you want to get up, and how early do you want to return?

What will you do at or near Montreux?

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

Most important-

When are you traveling? In December, it gets dark at about 1630. The return trip could be completely in the dark. Today, sunset is at 1927.

http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/switzerland/montreux

Slowpoke

pm6163
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 September 2016 at 12:02:31 #856134

Thanks, Arno & Slowpoke for comments, especially the details on Golden Pass train.

My stay will be on Oct 5th & 6th, due to the long ride on Golden Pass train, I am considering to go to Interlaken, and up to Jungfraujoch. Swiss Travel Pass will take us to Wengen or Grindelwald for fee, but when checking the price for Wengen to Jungfraujoch and Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald, on SBB web site, there is no 25% discount price, only full fare 85 & 92, or 1/2 discount fare, etc. Swiss Travel Pass gives only 25% discount for these rides, where do I buy the 25% off tickets then? Thanks.

Again, this web site is very helpful, I have spent the past few days surfing around and learned a lot about Switzerland.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 September 2016 at 14:40:02 #856135

Hi pm6163,

The SBB site is basically for Swiss residents and doesn’t list tourist passes. You particularly need that site to check for train schedules, not to buy tickets. The Tickets tab of the Jungfraujoch page provides more information.

The SBB has a separate site for the tourist passes at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the Swiss Travel Pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 business days, so you can print it at home. More purchase options and further details are on the Swiss Travel Pass page.

I’m glad to hear MySwissAlps is useful for you!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass day trip & Lucerne mountain visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.