Golden Pass line from Montreux to Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2017 at 12:09:54 #812444

Hello ,

I intend to travel from Montreux to Grindelwald in July 17 . I understand the Golden pass line on this line is very scenic .. I need some guidance to plan my trip on this route as its my first trip to Switzerland

1) I understand that I need to take the train from Montreux to Zweisimmen , Zweisimmen to Interlaken and from Interlaken to Grindelwald ( last trip not a part of Golden line )……Do I need to change trains twice ? How do I distinguish the Golden pass line trains from the regular trains at the platforms and will there be a change of platforms and waiting time involved for the changes ..

2) I already have a Swiss Travel pass for the family ( 2adults and 2 children ) so I assume I do not need to buy tickets for the route .. Also do u suggest I make seat reservations on any part of the route ? Which part of the route is the most scenic ? May be I can do only that part of the trip by the Golden pass line ?

3) Is there any other better option with less changes involved .. I would be happy to consider that as well .

Thanking you

shruts

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 June 2017 at 20:12:08 #865928

Hi Shruts,

1) The Golden Pass is mostly a route, not so much a train. There are indeed a couple of “special” trains on the Montreux to Zweisimmen section, but you won’t have to choose between train types. Only one will depart at the time, either a “regular” one or one that happens to be a bit more special (larger windows for example). Changes are easy as the stations are very small. There are no long waiting times. Trains connect within minutes usually. You will need to change in Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost. Sometimes in Spiez too.

2) You don’t need to buy anything else. Please see myswissalps.com/ goldenpass for all details about the route, optional reservations and more.

3) No, the Golden Pass line is the obvious most scenic route. It might be a bit faster via Bern, but less scenic and you still need to change trains just as many times (twice).

Enjoy this beautiful ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2017 at 3:23:53 #865929

Hi Arno

Thank you very much for your clarification .will surely check the link you have given for golden pass line .

Appreciate your prompt replies..

shruts

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2017 at 15:43:56 #865930

Hello Arno,

I am continuing the same thread of query as need a further clarification regarding the same …

Was looking to reserve VIP tickets on the Golden pass line from Montreux to Zweisimmen .As mentioned earlier I hold a Swiss Travel family pass ( second class ) … Can I still reserve the VIP first class seats with the same pass or is there any other way to go about the same .?

Do I need to pay a differential ticket price between 2nd class and 1st class tickets .? If so , how do I go about doing it online ?

Thanks

shruts

Arno
    15482 posts
    29 June 2017 at 16:09:17 #865931

Hi Shruts,

The pass and the reservations are separate items, so you can book the seats using the normal booking process. You’ll find the link under “More information” on myswissalps.com/golden pass/tickets.

As the seats are 1st class you will need an upgrade ticket for each adult (CHF 12.50). This is a separate item as well. You can buy this at any staffed train station in Switzerland. It does not sell out.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass line from Montreux to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.