Golden Pass route with Swiss Travel Pass

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 4:09:14 #866575

Hi Georgia,

>> My husband and I would like to go on the GPL from Montreux to Lucern using our STP as a discount.

On the Golden Pass route, you get free travel, not a discount, with your Swiss Travel Pass.

>> We want to make reservations as we really want to sit in First Class.

Reservations are optional in both 1st and 2nd class, but recommended for the sector from Montreux to Zweisimmen, which is the sector on which trains have panoramic windows.

You do need a 1st class ticket or pass to sit in 1st class. If you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass, you can buy a class upgrade at any staffed station in Switzerland. You can upgrade just for the Montreux-Zweisimmen sector, or for the whole trip.

>> My question is…When I go to the “Golden Pass” website and apply Montreux as my starting point and Lucern as the ending point, all these different Rail Stations come up with different starting points and times.

That is because there are several sectors between Montreux and Luzern, where you must change trains. If you want reserved seats all the way, you need a separate reservation for each sector. But as I mentioned above, reservations are not compulsory.

The sectors are:

1. Montreux to Zweisimmen (change trains). Reservations are recommended for this sector.

2. Zweisimmen to Interlaken Ost (change trains)

3. Interlaken Ost to Luzern

Sometimes you also need to change trains at Spiez, which is between Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost.

>> I am very confused. I also do not see where to add our STP for the discount.

Reservations cost CHF 8 for normal seats in 1st or 2nd class, or CHF 15 for VIP seats. VIP seats are only in 1st class and on some trains (not all trains) between Montreux and Zweisimmen. Reservation fees are not discounted.

>> upgrade to 1st class is a fee??

Yes, with a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass you will pay half the difference between a 1st class fare and a 2nd class fare for any sector for which you purchase a class upgrade. As I mentioned above, you can buy a class upgrade for one sector or for the whole trip at any staffed station in Switzerland.

I hope you are less confused now!

Alpenrose

Schnacky
    Participant
    16 posts
    10 July 2017 at 14:17:27 #866576

Thank you for your clarifying the reservations for me! I made my 1st class reservations for the 3 different sectors, so correct me if I don’t understand correctly. Those were the only tickets that I have to purchase because I have the STP? The train is free, however, since I wanted to reserve 1st class seats (or 2nd whichever I preferred) I had to pay for them? Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand 100% as I am new to this. (because after I paid for the tickets, a box appeared on my screen saying, “This is only a seat reservation, you need a valid ticket for your journey.” Sorry, I am new to all of this! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 15:06:23 #866577

>> after I paid for the tickets, a box appeared on my screen saying, “This is only a seat reservation, you need a valid ticket for your journey.

Yes, your Swiss Travel Pass is your “ticket” for travel in the appropriate class.

If you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass, but have reserved seats in 1st class, you will need to buy a class upgrade, which you can do at any staffed station in Switzerland before boarding the train. Otherwise, there is nothing more to pay.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 July 2017 at 22:03:54 #866578

Hi Georgia,

You can also buy class upgrades via the SBB on-line ticket shop or the SBB mobile app. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-buy-a-class-upgrade-in-the-sbb-mobile-app

The SBB mobile app is super useful for looking up timetables and buying tickets “on the fly”.

Schnacky
    Participant
    16 posts
    13 July 2017 at 18:07:22 #866579

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass route with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.