Best Golden Pass route Montreux to Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 0:07:26 #810132

Hi:

I will be traveling this month to Swiss. I would like to travel from Montreux to Lucerne using the Golden Pass panoramic train.

I will travel this Thursday September 29 and I plan to leave Montreux around 9:oo am. could you recommend to me what is the best route to do this trip? I got into the time tables but I did not understand them.

I would appreciate if you can recommend to me what is the best way to do this trip using the panoramic trains and the Golden Pass route.

If you can provide to me for example Montreux to Zweisimmen then to Interlaken and then to Lucerne will be very helpful

thank you very much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    20 September 2016 at 8:08:38 #856093

Hi Schillinger,

You’ll have to work the timetable a bit to find the appropriate connections. If you simply fill out Montreux as your departure station and Lucerne as your destination, the timetable will provide other, quicker routes by default. That’s why you’ll have to enter some via-stations along the Golden Pass route. This will force the timetable to come up with Golden Pass route connections only. Use the “Advanced search” option to do so and enter Zweisimmen and Meiringen, for example. You’ll also find a detailed route description plus a link to specific Golden Pass timetables at http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 17:51:42 #856094

Hi Annika:

I travel around the timetable and I found the following.

Montreux 8:44-Zweisimmen 10:52 Goldenb Pass Panoramic Regio 2216. Then Zweisimmen 11:03-Spiez 11:47 Regio 6818 Letschberger and Spiez 12:05- Interlaken Ost 12-28 Regio 6720. Finally Interlaken ost 13:04 – Luzern 14:55 InterRegio 2927 Luzern-Interlaken Express.

If I take these trains , am I traveling for the Golden Pass route? because the only train that have the name Golden Pass is from Montreux to Zweisimmen.

another question>: There is a difference between golden pass train classic and golden pass train VIP?

thank you for your help

Arno
    15478 posts
    20 September 2016 at 18:07:37 #856095

Hi Schillinger,

Yes, that’s the route! You can disregard the train names. Some are labeled Golden Pass, mainly for tourists, but any train on the route will give you the same very nice views. There’s no VIP train. A few trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen have VIP seats in the front of the train. First class only and reservation is compulsory for those seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 21:01:11 #856096

Arno

Thank you and Annika:

I visited the web page of Golden pass train and they have a few seats for the train from Montreux to Zweisimmen, do you recommend to me to make reservation for that part of the route?

For the rest of the route do you recommend to me also make reservations?

Carlos

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 21:39:44 #856097

one more question

in which web page I can make reservation for seat for the part Montreux-Zweisimmen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 21:57:54 #856098

sorry another question.

If this will be my only trip from Montreux to Luzern for the golden pass route what is the best option to buy a ticket? I am 59 years old and my daughter is 17 and she is student.

tks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 22:15:14 #856099

Annika/Arno:

how I need to buy the ticket? I tired to get it from Monterux to Luzern but does not have the times of the Golden Pass hours. Do I need to buy by parts? Montreux Zweisimmen then Zweisimmen to Internlaken and finally from Interlaken to Luzer or I can get it just Montreux-Luzern

sorry for all these questions. I will use it this September 29

Arno
    15478 posts
    21 September 2016 at 7:40:40 #856100

Hi Schillinger,

As for reservations and reservation links: please see the Tickets tab of the Golden Pass page Annika referred to. You can simply buy a ticket in Montreux if you are sure you won’t be doing any other traveling while in Switzerland. But I assume you also need to travel to Montreux, and from Lucerne to some other place or the border. If you have time you may want to include a cableway ride or a boat trip. The rail passes page provides all information.

Note that you can edit your posts until an hour after submitting, so you can make changes or add questions.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2016 at 14:55:52 #856101

Thanks Arno. this is the other question.

Ok I will make the reservation for the seats from Montreux to Zweisimmen

how I need to buy the ticket? I tried to get it from Monterux to Luzern but does not have the times of the Golden Pass hours. Do I need to buy by parts? Montreux Zweisimmen then Zweisimmen to Internlaken and finally from Interlaken to Luzer or I can get it just Montreux-Luzern

sorry for all these questions. I will use it this September 29

After this route from Montreux to Lucern, I will travel to Munich the same day.

Arno
    15478 posts
    21 September 2016 at 17:02:25 #856102

Hi Schillinger,

You can go the ticket desk in Montreux, explain about your route, and they will sell you one ticket for the day. Please see here for tickets to Munich.

• The thread ‘Best Golden Pass route Montreux to Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.