Golden Pass to Lucerne – One journey or three?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 0:02:08 #807588

Hello

I will be travelling to Switzerland with my wife in September and we would like to take the Golden Pass Panoramic train from Montreux to Lucerne. I am having difficulty seeing how to do this via online booking system. Can someone advise please whether it is possible to book this journey as a single journey or do you have to book three different journeys for the three legs i.e. Montreux to Zweisimmen – Zweisimmen to Interlaken and Interlaken to Lucerne? When I enter Montreux to Lucerne on the search engine it only generates what seem to be regular trains that go via Lausanne and not the advertised Golden Pass Panoramic.

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 July 2015 at 5:22:21 #844587

Hi pstaff,

Are you planning to buy a Swiss Travel Pass or any other pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 6:59:47 #844588

Hello Pstaff,

I am in Lucerne right now with my family on holidays. Would suggest you to buy a Swiss Travel Pass first online. With this Swiss Travel Pass, The golden pass come free. You would be able to board the Golden Pass as per the schedule on your intended date of travel easily from Montreaux station.

BRgds

Amit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 7:12:49 #844589

Thanks for the responses to my query. We will only be in Switzerland for 1 week and whilst we will be looking take the Golden Pass train Montreux to Lucerne as well as the Bernina Ezpress from Chur to Lugano, I was expecting that the individual tickets would be cheaper than the pass. Happy to be told otherwise if that is the case. We may do a couple of other shorter trios whilst in Switzerland and so perhaps the pass is worthwhile. Apart from the cost issue though, it seems problematic booking the trip online – whether that is because I am seeking to do so from Australia? thanks again for your assistance – any further advice would be very welcome.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2015 at 14:35:11 #844590

Hi pstaff,

Amit is right about the Swiss Travel Pass. In that case there’s nothing else to book as it covers all Golden Pass trains. It also covers the Bernina Express, but not the seat reservations. Please see here for details:

Whether you’re better off with a Swiss Travel Pass, point to point tickets, or perhaps a Swiss Half Fare Card, depends on your exact travel plans (including cable car rides, town to town transfers, day trips). It is explained here.

In any case you can save money by buying your pass online. Click to the Price and Discounts sections of the Swiss Travel Pass page (or any other pass page) for more information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 14:56:45 #844591

Hi Arno

Thank you for this – I think the links you sent me look like they will achieve what I am trying to do – they are different to what I was seeing yesterday. I will make the comparison between the Pass and point-to-point tickets and go from there. One more question if I may. The link to book the Golden Pass describes the journey as being from Lucerne to Montreux – if we are wishing to go in the other direction Will that complicate the booking process – assuming we are booking point-to-point rather than using a Pass?

Thanks again – much appreciated.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2015 at 15:47:18 #844592

Hi pstaff,

You can travel from any station to any station, whatever you prefer. There’s not really a booking process. You simply go to the rail station, buy a ticket from the staffed counter or a machine, board the train, and find a seat. There’s nothing more to it. And you don’t even need tickets if you have a Swiss Travel Pass. You can just board any train you like. Only trains requiring reservations are slightly more complicated because you need to arrange for the reservation in advance, and seats can be booked out if you wait too long.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass to Lucerne – One journey or three?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.