Golden Pass train from Interlaken to Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2015 at 2:11:40 #808080

hi

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (5 & 14 years old).

We would like to travel from Interlaken to Montreux on 17 Dec 2015 by the Golden Pass Panoramic train.

We have purchased a 15 day Swiss Pass starting 13 Dec from Singapore.

Please assist with the following questions :

1. Do we need to purchase/make any prior reservations before we can board the Golden Pass Panoramic train from Interlaken on 17 Dec?

2. We would like to know how long it will take to get from Interlaken to Montreux on the Golden Pass route.

3. I went to the Golden Pass website and was given the following schedule :

Interlaken Ost 7:29 to Spiez, Spiez 8:05 to Visp, Visp 8:34 to Montreux

Reach Montreux at 9:47

Is this the correct schedule I should refer to.

We plan to drop our luggage at Hotel Splendid upon reaching Montreux and continue by train to Geneva. That should take about 1 hour.

Therefore, would like to know the time we will reach Montreux and the train timing to get from Montreux to Geneva so that we will have an idea how many hours we will have in Geneva to explore the Old Town.

Any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

~ Nori

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 November 2015 at 5:53:27 #846767

Hi Nori,

Most of this has already been discussed in your other topic. The Golden Pass page provides all further details, like links to timetables, information about seat reservations, a detailed route map, etc. Note that the Golden Pass route is via Zweisimmen, not Visp. The timetable provides schedules of train to Geneva and all other trains in Switzerland.

I hope this clear it up for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2015 at 13:48:17 #846768

Hi Annika

Yes, most have been answered but I would like assistance specific to the Golden Pass schedule and have been advised to raise a new post. The schedule I have previously received confuses me and would like assistance to confirm my understanding.

I have gone online to check on the schedule. Please refer to attached. Is that the correct schedule I should refer to?

Am I right to say that in order to avoid transiting in Spiez, the earliest Golden Pass train I can take on 17 Dec is at 9.08am and the train will reach Montreux at 12.13pm?

Also, the panoramic Golden Pass train will only start from Zweisimmen to Montreux. From Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen, I will be taking a regular train?

Based on raileurope’s schedule, there is a train leaving Montreux at 13:23, reaching Geneva at 14:30 on 17 Dec.

Please advise whether my understanding is correct. Thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 November 2015 at 14:47:00 #846769

Hi Nori,

I recommend not to use Rail Europe schedules, but rather the timetable I linked to in my previous post. Your attachment shows that you do use the right one though, but it shows a date in the past and a trip in the reverse direction: Geneva to Grindelwald. So if you switch the “to” and “from” towns and select the correct date, you should see all your options. Also I would choose Montreux as the “to” town as that’s where you’re going. You only go to Geneva later; that’s a different trip. I just tried and it shows the first connection at 6:19 AM, with a change in Spiez. The first option without a change in Spiez departs 8:19 AM from Grindelwald. Those are the official Golden Pass trains, which is nice, but not essential to enjoy the scenery. The train from Zweisimmen to Montreux shows that seat reservations are recommended, but not required.

Does this help?

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train from Interlaken to Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.