Golden pass trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2012 at 16:20:46 #805322

Hello. 2 years ago, I travelled from Zermatt to St. Moritz on a golden pass train. We hadn’t pre booked this train and all 2nd. class seats were gone. We paid extra for first class but thought it was worth it because the trainwas special with huge panoramic windows. I thought all golden pass trains were the same, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. In August, I plan to travel from Montreux to Interlaken Ost via zweisimmen, and decided to go first class again and book my seats well inadvance. It seems that neither leg on my trip will be on the panoramic trains at the time I,ve decided to travel, so wonder if I really need to make a reservation? We will have 2nd class swiss passes by then, but would upgrade if it was worth the extra expense. Please advise..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 June 2012 at 11:22:15 #836285

Hi aussie! There are several types of trains on the Golden Pass route – and please note that that’s different from the Glacier Express between St. Moritz and Zermatt you experienced before. Regular regional trains run from Montreux to Interlaken. They don’t require booking. Scenic Golden Pass trains with large windows ride this route too. The timetable shows whether a Golden Pass train is involved or not, and this will help you to find out which type of train runs at the moment you want to travel. There’s a separate Golden Pass timetable as well. If you prefer a Golden Pass train and large windows, you can best book in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2012 at 4:09:17 #836286

Hello Annika. I feel very embarrased because I forgot that the train from Zermatt was as you said, the glacier express!! We will take the regional trains from Montreux to Interlaken Ost. All swiss trains are terrific. Thanks so much for your help in this regard and other questions I have asked you.

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 June 2012 at 7:48:55 #836287

Don’t be ashamed aussie! There are many different trains in Switzerland, and that can be confusing at times. I hope you’ll enjoy your Golden Pass trip as much as you did the Glacier Express!

• The thread ‘Golden pass trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.