Golden Pass with my wife and a 10 month old baby

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2016 at 23:04:51 #810361

Hi all.

I will be visiting Switzerland next July (2017) with my wife and a 10 month old baby. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take the Golden pass route from Luzern to Montreux. If yes I have got some questions which I would appreciate if you could answer them.

Do they let me come onboard with the luggages and a push chair on the golden pass train? Is there enough space since it is a scenic train?

Do you suggest that I stop in every location where the train stops and have a look around?

Do I need to book each and every leg from Luzern to Montreux individually?

If I have the Swiss travel card would I still pay for this train?

Do you suggest that I book online since it will be in July? If yes do I need to reserve the seats as well?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 November 2016 at 0:07:18 #857110

Hi Matthew –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps

The Golden Pass route is one of many excellent scenic rain rides –

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain

You can take luggage on board. You can also ship it, depending on your schedule. More on that if you let us know you are interested.

Don’t know about a push chair…is that the same as what we call a wheel chair in the USA?

There are different types of rail cars on the Golden Pass trains, on certain segments of the line, some with special windows or seating arrangements on some of those trains. That might influence the transport of a wheelchair.

Perhaps Arno can suggest a link to help clarify that point.

<<“Do you suggest that I stop in every location where the train stops and have a look around?”>>

No.

Check the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and after you select a particular journey , click on the “+” to the left. Then, click on “intermediate stops.” There a can be a lot, on some trains.

The train stops will be brief.. a small number of minutes. You could wait for the next train, typically one hour later…

<<“Do I need to book each and every leg from Luzern to Montreux individually?”>>

To travel on that route, or most Swiss trains with the country, you do not need to book or make reservations. However, see the Golden Pass link above….the special scenic and panoramic cars probably need booking.

I don’t comment on rail passes…I leave it to the experts, Arno and Annika.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 November 2016 at 7:04:23 #857111

Hi Matthew,

You’ll find detailed rail pass information here (I am not sure which one you have in mind):

You can best pick one once you have an itinerary for your entire stay in Switzerland. Just let us know if any questions remain!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2016 at 12:20:56 #857112

Hello,

We did the Golden Pass this fall. It is not an off and on kind of ride (though you could if you wanted to wait for the next one). I would recommend the SBB app if you think you might want to jump off and on. You can easily see the next train, platform etc on your phone.

From Lucerne you will change a couple of times before you can get get on the scenic train. If you are just putting Lucerne and Montreux into the timetable you will not get the Golden Pass route, you need to use the “via” feature. It is explained on the Golden Pass pages. It is easy once you get the hang of it. We had Swiss travel passes and upgraded to first class for the panoramic portion. We did that by stopping at the window in any train station and asking for the upgrade to 1st class just for that portion. I believe is was 12 cf each. We also reserved the front seats in the car (in advance) and really enjoyed the ride. Other than that if you have the travel pass you jump on any train you like in the whole country.

There was a lot of room for storage of luggage etc in first class. In second class there is room but you might have to look for it depending on how busy it is. Also there were plenty of people with strollers when I was there using the trains.

Happy planning,

Ellen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2016 at 23:33:44 #857113

Hi all and thanks for your helpful replies.

@ellenS

When you said you also reserved the front seats of the car, does it mean that you had to choose the front seats for each and every train in the golden pass?

Many Thanks, Matthew

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2016 at 1:19:09 #857114

Hi Matthew-

I have not checked this out, but I think those seats are only available on the run from Zweisimmen to Montreux.

Lets see what Ellen says.

This link might be helpful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2016 at 13:05:23 #857115

Hello

Slowpoke is correct. Only the last section is in the special panoramic cars.

You reserve those seats independent of the train ticket.

If you have a travel pass you do not buy a ticket only the upgrade to first class for that section only. And then you reserve the front seating.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass with my wife and a 10 month old baby’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.