GoldenPass Line on the way from Italy to Germany

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2017 at 6:50:06 #810896

My mother, my brother and I will be traveling from Italy to Germany through Switzerland this April. Our main purpose in Switzerland is to take the GoldenPass Line. Our departure point from Italy will be Milan. For the point of arrival in Germany, we are still choosing between Freiburg and Stuttgart.

We will be staying for three nights in Switzerland and we are keeping the itinerary flexible, depending on the route and schedules of the GoldenPass Line, which, we understand, plies between Montreaux and Lucerne. Would it be more logical for us to start from Montreaux and finish the line in Lucerne or the other way around? May we request some advice as to the travel from Milan to Montreaux or Lucerne?

We would also appreciate recommendations on whether to enter Germany either way, for example – Lucerne – Zurich – Stuttgart or Montreaux – Basel – Freiburg.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind advice!

Best regards,

Tortoise

the arrival point
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    25 February 2017 at 11:37:42 #859332

Hi Tortoise,

It would make most sense to travel from Montreux to Lucerne if you’re heading from Italy to Germany. The easiest connection from Milan to Montreux is via Domodossola, Brig and Sion. There are direct trains on this route and the journey will take about 3 hours. The timetable will display all options. You can then board the Golden Pass line and head north for Lucerne. There are several options to spend your nights along the route. You could divide them between Montreux, Interlaken and Lucerne or spend all of them in the town/region that appeals to you most. Please check the links I included to compare for yourself.

From Lucerne you can get to both Stuttgart (a 4 hour trip) as well as Freibrug (about 2 hours). For this trip too, the timetable provides all details.

Depending on your finalized itinerary, a 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass may work for you, plus regular tickets Milan-Domodossola and German/Swiss border-Stuttgart or Freiburg.

Does this get you started?

• The thread ‘GoldenPass Line on the way from Italy to Germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.