Gornergrat

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 7:26:47 #804976

Hi,

We are going to B.O. for our honeymoon. We have 3 nights in Wengen. We are contemplating whether it is worth for us to take the train to Gornegrat to see the glacier. We are not keen to go to the Jungfraujoch due to the high train ticket prices. What would you suggest?

Thanks,
    Jamie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    4 March 2012 at 10:10:05 #835055

Hi Jamie,

As you don’t mention what your travel plans during your stay are as yet, it is not possible to know whether you might benefit of any of the swiss rail passes.

It is good to know that the journey from Wengen to Gornergrat will cost you about SF 45,- per person, one way (!) and that it will take you about 4 hours (one way) to get there. So you can calculate whether a visit to Gonergrat is within reach.

Either way, visiting Jungfraujoch and Gornergrat are top experiences.

Wishing you a happy honeymoon!

Sorry, I just see you have posted an extensive itinerary. It’s just because this seemed to be another topic by Jamie. I hope my answer adds someting though!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 20:22:35 #835056

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt response. I had two different questions and therefore I posted them in different topics. My questions are:

1. Is the view at Gornegrat worth for us to take one whole day out of our 3-day stay in B.O?

2. Did I calculate the cost comparison correctly? Is it cheaper for me to get the half fare card in Switzerland or outside of Switzerland?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks and regards,

Jamie

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 March 2012 at 3:43:30 #835057

Hi Jamie,

In my view the answer to your first question is a simple YES.

I hope others are able to help you with the calculations.

Enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2012 at 20:16:59 #835058

Thanks!

• The thread ‘Gornergrat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.