Gornergrat Bahn & Matterhorn glacier paradise

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2013 at 23:31:42 #806134

I will be in Zermatt end September 2013. As I was checking the Gornergrat bahn timetable, what does number 213,217, 219 etc indicated on top of the train timings stands for? Are they train numbers departing at that time? Is Gornergrat bahn a direct train or do I need to change to get to Gornergrat peak? Where do I take Gornergrat bahn railway from Zermatt main station? Also how do I get to the Matterhorn glacier paradise station from Zermatt main station? Do I need to make changes at different station to get to the Matterhorn glacier peak? If so, do I need to get several tickets?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 August 2013 at 5:20:54 #839136

Hi traveltalk,

Those numbers are indeed train numbers, but actually they are not relevant. Only departure times are good to know about. It’s a direct train and it departs from the building across the street from the main train station. You can’t miss it.

Cable cars (3 legs) take you up to the Glacier Paradise. You need to change for each leg but that’s easy, just a very short walk to the next cable car. One return ticket from the valley station to the top is all you need. The valley station is a 20 minute easy walk from the main rail station. Follow the signs to get there. Basically it’s just following the main street across the village from the rail station, and cross the river just before you reach the cable car station.

If you have a Swiss Pass or another pass you get a 50% discount on both tickets.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Gornergrat Bahn & Matterhorn glacier paradise’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.