Places to visit along the Gotthard Panorama route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 12:03:59 #811677

Hi,

We are visiting from May 23-May 25.

We plan to take the Gothrad route as described here from Luzerne : http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress and return back through the tunnel route.

As we will be travelling during weekdays, we shall take the normal boat and train to do the journey and not the special Panaroma train.

Are there any interesting places/trails that we can do during this.. 5 hrs one way and then 2 hrs return may become monotonous. May be get off somewhere to see the views better or see something unique thereor do a small trail and then catch the next train.

regards

Namrata

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2017 at 13:16:31 #862785

Hi Namrata-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

By te way, the correct spelling is “Gotthard.”

The first three hours from Luzern are by boat.

There are two useful tools to get you started on your question:

This will let you visualize the overall journey:

map.search.ch/?pos=744448,154240&z=2& poi=zug

I have turned on “Traffic” under points of interest. Expand the map and mouse over the icons for transport stops, and you will get a brief list of near term connections.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That will let you see available stops the train route as well as bus and lake boats, and show the timing.

map.search.ch/?pos=744448,154240&z=2& poi=zug

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

That shows the Lake boat schedules.

From those three you can understand where the stops are , and timing issues. Using the “Aerial View” will give you some idea of the topography.

This site is great for hikes:

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=50&X =713045&Y=135730&layer s=Wanderland

Click on the green lines ( trails) and get more information about the trail.

Sometimes it is a little slow, but it is full of information.

Unfortunately, i can’t recommend any particular specific hikes or walks, from personal knowledge. I hike a lot around Lake Lucerne, but mostly on the western shores.

The Swiss Path is available along the southern part of lake Lucerne, but much of it is high above the lake.

http://www.weg-der-schweiz.ch/en/

I think there is one section between Sisikon and Tells Platte along the lake shore.

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/r outen/etappe-01448.html

There are trails in the Gotthard; some high above and parallel to the tracks. I’ve never gotten off the train….the time passes quickly.

Also, keep an eye on the boat connections at Flüelen on your way north, if your starting point is the Ticino.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 4:13:04 #862786

Thanks Slowpoke.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:43:56 #862787

Hi Namrata –

You are welcome.

I find that the rail section passes quickly, and have never felt a need to get off. I like it so much that I ride it over the pass both going and coming, but do not usually combine it with the 3 hour boat ride.

You might consider ending the Ticino portion…if you are starting at Luzern…… at Locarno. The water front is very nice. It has flowers, restaurants, and is close to the station ( unlike Lugano, where it is a bit of a distance from the station.)

And, the funicular up to the Madonna del Sasso is close to the station.

I don’t recall anything near the station in Bellinzona ( the other logical turn-around point) that is as interesting for a short walk.

So – if I make a day trip from Luzern or Zürich, I go over the top to Locarno, eat lunch, go up to the Madonna del Sasso, take some pictures, walk around a bit, get back on the train and take a nap for the first 30 minutes or so, if I have had enough wine with lunch. Then I wake up for the part north of Bellinzona, returning over the top.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 15:50:41 #862788

Hi Slowpoke

We will be starting from Luzern. My point was 3 hrs boat + 2 hrs train till Bellinzona and then 2 hrs train.. So about 8 hrs just travelling.. Wanted to hence look for some things in between..

regards

Namrata

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:17:36 #862789

Hi Namrata,

Your day will be pretty full with 8 hours of traveling, so I don’t think it leaves that much room for things in between. I think Slowpoke provided some good options for a break in Ticino though! Isn’t that what you’re looking for?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:31:37 #862790

H Namrata-

A couple of the castles in Bellinzona are within walking distance of the train station, if you don’t want to go all the way to Locarno.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 18:09:58 #862791

Thanks Slowpoke, Annika.

Got good inputs from you both.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 4:57:33 #862792

Hi,

Don’t do this train ride at all, instead you can pick one of Glacier, Bernina, GoldenPass Line, Voralpen Express.

This train is waste of time and money from our recent trip experiences

– Gotthard Panorama Express company is a big cheat, we got cheated in below ways
    – Had to pay 48 Frank for me and wife from Bellionzona till Fluelen, even when we had 15 days of Swiss Travel Pass 2nd class. This is reservation charge, seriously we paid 26 Frank total for Glacier Express reservation with Swiss pass.
    – Panorama coaches are only for 1st class, this is really stupid of them
    – Train travels super fast, you can’t enjoy scenery
    – After travelling with Glacier and Bernina we had high hopes with this train as well but felt cheated.
    – Do NOT waste your money and time on this train
    – Only good thing we found is scenic journey and getting to know about Gotthard tunnel history and train travels really slow in tunnel.

Other than this it’s waste of time and money

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 9:32:19 #862793

Hi VikramVI,

Yes, the reservation fee is a bit high, but it’s a pretty luxurious train with mostly 1st class seats. The lower reservation fee you paid for the Glacier Express is because you still traveled in winter season. In summer it is CHF 33 per person, which is more expensive than the Gotthard Panorama Express.
    There are some 2nd class seats available on the GPE for those who want to travel at lower cost.

We would be happy if you have the time to post your entire trip report for people to read in our trip report forum too!

Lucas

Annika
    7103 posts
    19 May 2017 at 9:38:00 #862794

Hi VikramVI,

I’m sorry to hear it wasn’t as good as you expected. Note that you can travel the same route on regular regional trains, in 2nd class and wihout additional seat reservations. It’s explained at our Gotthard Panorma Express page.

• The thread ‘Places to visit along the Gotthard Panorama route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.