Where to book Gotthard Panorama Express seats

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 5:25:10 #811851

Gm Everyone,

I want to book Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Lugano (Boat + Train) for 20th July 2017 – 4 Adults but not able to do it. I was searching in Rail europe, Happy rail, Sbb.ch but attyms it was going thru & attyms it doesnt. Rates in Happyrail shows CHF 31 For Seat Reservation & on Sbb.ch it shows Chf 24. I have Swiss Travel pass 2nd Class. Can i book 1st class GPE & what will be cost of it. Which is best site to book ??

Regards

Kunal Mittal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 11:40:11 #863437

Good morning/afternoon Kunal, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are no seat reservations for the boat section. You can simply board with your Swiss Travel Pass as it includes free boat rides. If you prefer 1st class on the boat, you can buy an upgrade before boarding at the ticket office or on board. The train seat reservation can be purchased from various websites. On http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains, select Gotthard Express from the dropdown list, click 1st or 2nd class and click “Pay”. In the “Route & time” box, enter “Fluelen – Lugano” and the departure time of the train (14:10). The train upgrade to 1st class does not sell out and can be purchased in Switzerland at any staffed train station for CHF 17.50 per person. Do buy it before you board the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 12:14:19 #863438

Good Afternoon Guys,

Problem is Happyrail shows CHF 31 whereas SBB.CH shows CHF24. why is there so much difference ??

canu also send me SBB.CH link & does that link accept Payments in INR like happyrail link does ????

Thnx

Kunal Mittal

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 12:43:04 #863439

Hi Kunal,

Retailers can all set their own prices, I am not sure why this difference exists in this particular case. A link to the SBB site can be found on our Gotthard Panorama Express page under “More on other websites”. It’s the domestic site; I don’t know how to book this reservation there in detail. They will offer payment in CHF, I am not sure about INR.

As you already noticed, Happyrail does offer payment in INR. But in any case, do check if the amount in INR is not exceptionally high, as it’s now the company who has to pay the conversion fees.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 4:56:33 #863440

Hi,

Don’t do this train ride at all, instead you can pick one of Glacier, Bernina, GoldenPass Line, Voralpen Express.

This train is waste of time and money from our recent trip experiences

– Gotthard Panorama Express company is a big cheat, we got cheated in below ways
    – Had to pay 48 Frank for me and wife from Bellionzona till Fluelen, even when we had 15 days of Swiss Travel Pass 2nd class. This is reservation charge, seriously we paid 26 Frank total for Glacier Express reservation with Swiss pass.
    – Panorama coaches are only for 1st class, this is really stupid of them
    – Train travels super fast, you can’t enjoy scenery
    – After travelling with Glacier and Bernina we had high hopes with this train as well but felt cheated.
    – Do NOT waste your money and time on this train
    – Only good thing we found is scenic journey and getting to know about Gotthard tunnel history and train travels really slow in tunnel.

Other than this it’s waste of time and money

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 5:30:42 #863441

Good Morning Everyone,

Thanx Vikram for sharing your experience. Willl Consider it. Thing is i want to travel from Lucerne to Lugano from one of best scenic trains. Kindly help me with nother option if you or anyone else has it.

Thnx

Kunal Mittal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 6:20:48 #863442

Golden Pass Line is the best option. This consists of 3 lines.

I’ve shared our recent trip info in blog, please google for “vikramviknowledgesharing switzerland”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 6:24:56 #863443

sorry one mistake in last post, you can skip Luzern -> Lugano and instead do Interlaken / Luzern -> Montreux with Golden Line Pass trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 9:12:01 #863444

Nice blog post VikramVI!

Sounds like you had a great time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 9:15:25 #863445

The Gotthard Panorama Express is the most scenic train on the route between Luzern and Lugano.

If you want to go to Lugano from Luzern this is the route you will take – but you don’t have to take the panoramic train and can take regional trains (saving the reservation fees) if you want.

Read about this route here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 13:21:05 #863446

Thanks Lucas, your website had helped us a lot in planning our wonderful trip.

Regards,

Vikram

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 7:25:40 #863447

GM Everyone

I have few doubts if anyone can help., Though Mr vikram has helped a bit in sharing his experience. Query is regarding The Gotthard Panorama Express is the most scenic train on the route between Luzern and Lugano.

Incase if i dont opt for panoramic train and take regional train route (saving the reservation fees). Am i missing good scenery ?? Coz i dont want to miss good views as i am taking my parents to this trip. Kindly Suggest.

Also i ve heard from you guys that Glacier Express is really good. Can i add glacier express route on same day & come bcak to lugano as my hotel is booked for Lugano & next day i am doing Bernina Express from Lugano to tirano by bus & Tirano to chur By Bernina Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 9:37:26 #863448

Hi Kunal,

The regional trains will travel the same route as the Gotthard Panorama Express so the scenery is exactly the same.
    The regular trains require you to change trains once or twice along the way. Be sure to travel on the regional trains via Göschenen and Airolo, not the fast direct trains. The fast trains cross a long tunnel and you won’t see anything of the remarkable scenery.

No you won’t have time to do the Glacier Express on the same day. You are already on the Bernina Express which is a similar and fantastic train trip!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 10:20:30 #863449

Thnx Lucas.

That would help. Just one thing do u have details of the Regional Train Route & timetable which goes via Goschenen & Airolo.

Also i want to do boat part. Can i still do that if i am not Taking Gotthard Panorama Express Train Route & boat part will still be free right as i am having 2nd Class swiss travel pass ???

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 12:27:34 #863450

You can find the train trip details on our timetable page, just be sure to enter the via connections (noted in my last post) as well.

Yes, you can take any boat for free with the Swiss Travel Pass (Luzern to Flüelen) and then board any train on to Lugano (via Göschenen and Airolo for the scenic route).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Where to book Gotthard Panorama Express seats’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.