Grindelwald bus with Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2015 at 14:26:58 #807736

Hi

i am planning to buy Swiss pass.

1- will the swiss pass cover riding public buses inside grindelwald.

2- Where can I get public bus map for grindelwald.

regds.

bashnaini

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 August 2015 at 15:12:30 #845212

Hi Bashnaini,

Please note Annika’s explanation in your previous post: the pass you need is called Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Pass is a new product since August 1, and it’s not for tourists.

1) Tickets for buses in and around Grindelwald are discounted by 50% if you have a Swiss Travel Pass.

2) Please see http://www.grindelwaldbus.ch/ en/timetable/ timetable-summer.

I hope this was useful, enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2015 at 15:44:21 #845213

Hi Arno

thank you for,the clarification.

Yes , I mean Swiss travel pass in my questions.

but the grindelwald bus website does not show the price for ticket using the bus

where to find prices to ride the grindelwald buses

rgeds

bashnaini

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 August 2015 at 15:55:47 #845214

You’re welcome! Prices can be found in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 10:20:13 #845215

Hi Arno, just clarifying … Since I’m going to be staying In grindelwald …. So you’re saying that from Interlaken to grindelwald by gain is covered by the Swiss travel pass … However from grindelwald if I take a bus to my apartment that will be at a 50% discount???

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2015 at 16:33:28 #845216

Bashnaini said:

I am planning to buy Swiss travel Pass. I was looking into grindelwald bus website and they mention that prices are as follows:

• Normalpreis / Normal price CHF 88.40
    • 1/2Tax-Abo CHF 44.20
    • GA CHF 9.90

which of these prices apply to swiss travel pass?

Annika
    7121 posts
    12 August 2015 at 16:51:01 #845217

Hello Barkha,

Yes, that’s correct. Urban transportation is mostly covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, especially in larger towns. The 50% discount within Grindelwald is an exception.

Annika
    7121 posts
    12 August 2015 at 17:05:48 #845218

Hi Bashnaini!

We noticed you’ve posted your follow-up question on Grindelwald bus prices in a new topic, but it’s easier to continue with closely related questions in the same topic. That’s why we’ve quoted your question here, and we’ll answer it here to have all information on this particular matter within one thread.

I’m not sure which prices you’re quoting. The ones listed on the Grindelwald bus website apply to day trips and packages, not to regular trips within Grindelwald as far as I can see. The timetable Arno mentioned is an easier source, I think. Just enter your trip, pick a connection and click ‘Fare/Buy’. Here’s how to interpret the options you’ve encountered:

• the “1/2 Tax” or “Halbtax” is a half fare pass for Swiss residents, and results in 50% discounted prices, just as the Swiss Travel Pass does for local traveling in Grindelwald;
    • “GA” means “General-Abo”, a pass for Swiss residents allowing free traveling. This often results in the same coverage as the Swiss Travel Pass, and that’s the price you can expect for trips outside of Grindelwald.

If you’re not 100% sure in advance, don’t worry: rail and bus officers at the spot will be able to tell you whether or not your Swiss Travel Pass grants free traveling and sell you a 50% discounted ticket in case it doesn’t.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald bus with Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.