Grindelwald hut hikes comparison

Grindelwald hut hikes comparison

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Archi1232
Archi1232
1 post
Jun 21, 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hi There,

I'm visiting the Jungfrau region for the first time for my honeymoon and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on which hut hikes are best in the Grindelwald region (Gleckstein vs. Bäregg vs. Schreckhorn). We are both strong hikers in our late 20's and used to doing high alpine routes, but only have one day for huts in and around Grindelwald and wanted to get a sense of whether one is recommended over the other. I know the Schreckhorn is probably the most demanding and isolated, but wanted to get as much first-hand info as I can in order to plan.

Following this trip, we'll be looking to hike back out via the Eiger Route to the Lauterbrunnen Valley where we're looking to do a few days of huts in that area. If anyone has any words of advice or opinions on any of the following routes it would be greatly appreciated...thanks so much!!

1. Obersteinberg Loop from Stechelberg (or a trip up to Rottal Hut)

2. Murren to Rotstock Hut to Schilthorn

3. Murren to Rotstock Hut to Sefinafurgga to Gspaltenhorn Hut (and on to Hohturli Hut and eventually Kandersteg)

3. Isenfluh to Lobhorn Hut to Schwalmere (and either back down or off the back and up the Schilthorn)

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
Jun 23, 2016 - 5:25 PM

Hi Archi1232, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would say that none of the trails to access these huts are very easy. They're all steep and exposed in some sections. Note that I didn't hike there myself, so I can't provide all details, but I know where it is. The trails to the Glecksteinhütte and Schreckhornhütte will be more demanding than to Bäregg. It's all about what you prefer actually. Perhaps the below links are useful, if you haven't seen them already:

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
Jun 23, 2016 - 5:58 PM in reply to Archi1232

Hi Archi1232-

If you are not familiar already with these sites, they may be useful. Take a look-

www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-swiss-alps/

That one covers die Wanderwege signage in detail.

In this following Swisstopo link I have turned on the overlay for die Wanderwege, which can be seen to be color coded to match the trail signs information:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=d e&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs. gebaeude_wohnungs_regi ster,ch.swisstopo.swis stlm3d-wanderwege,ch.swisstop o.landeskarte-farbe-10&layers_visibility=f alse,false,true,false& layers_timestamp=18641 231,,,&X=163791.21&Y=6 46488.79&zoom=5

Note that the climb to Schreckhornhütte requires technical climbing. Did not check the others.

SwissTopo paper maps are excellent, if you like to use paper maps. Go to the home page and look under products. Those maps are widely available in Switzerland. There are smartphone versions, as well.

The scree below Hohtürli is notorious.

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016