Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen in beginning of May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 0:51:21 #808775

I’m planning to visit the Bernese Oberland first week on May. I’m not sure which of these I should make my base.

Grindelwald I read it’s more tourisy and will be congested but the view is slightly better

Lauterbrunnen is less tourisy but the view is not as nice.

Will it be congested with tourist beginning of May??

Any advice on which is better?? In terms of making as a base?? I’ll be staying for 3 nights

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    1 April 2016 at 23:13:47 #850130

Hello. Grindelwald is a pretty and convenient place and although there will be tourists in early May, it will not be over-crowded. There is a good grocery store and lots of little shops and restaurants which are well-priced, and lots of walking around and beyond the village (also buses run to some villages at that time of year). But Lauterbrunnen also has advantages if you wish to be active, as it is a pleasant (but steep!) walk up to Wengen or Murren (both can be also reached by cable car/train), or a pretty stroll to Stechelberg.

You can easily go to Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch from either place, as you probably know.

Part of my decision would be based on whether I had a train pass or whether I was going to stay close to home base, and how I was going to get to/from the border.

You are likely to have rainy days at that time of the year, so it would be handy to have a train pass to extend your options if the mountains are socked in with fog or rain. You can go from either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald by train to Interlaken and from there to anywhere (even a ferry ride on Lake Thun is a pleasant option for a rainy day, but you can also take a train over the alps to e.g. Zermatt in search of fine weather…this would be expensive without a train pass).

Of the two, and if you are coming by train, my choice would be Grindelwald, or even Wengen – above Lauterbrunnen. If you have a car, I think probably Lauterbrunnen would be easier. Anything you choose will be lovely – it is a beautiful area. Have fun planning!

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 April 2016 at 7:32:43 #850131

Hi Minnie,

I noticed we didn’t welcome you to MySwissAlps yet. So: welcome! Thanks for joining us and for sharing your valuable tips!

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    2 April 2016 at 9:04:42 #850132

Thanks for the kindly welcome, Annika. You and Arno deserve many congratulations for devising and hosting such a marvellous website! Greetings from Perth, Western Australia where we swap alps for a beautiful river and very blue sky.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2016 at 11:01:34 #850133

Grindelwald is much better to stay as Lauterbrunnen. The place is much cosy than Lauterbrunnen.

Wengen is also cosy, but only attainable by train. Not by car !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 April 2016 at 11:25:47 #850134

Hi Kenlee-

What has not been mentioned in the thread is the weather/climate.

Early May is low season in the Jungfrau region, and some other alpine regions. That is because the snow is either gone or nor so good for skiing, and the trails are not yet open for hiking at higher altitudes.

Lower altitudes, such as the Lauterbrunnen Valley, probably Wengen, will likely have no concerns with now blocking trails.

Since it is low season, many cableways will not be running. Many but not all hotels will be closed, as will some restaurants.

The cograil will run.

As late April/early May is still the tail end of Winter at high altitudes, the weather will be changeable, and th emountains make their own contributions to a rapidly changing weather situation. Thus, it is wise to allow a few days in the area, in order to (hopefully) have a sunny day to go up to Jungfrau or Kleine Scheidegg and see mountain scenery, instead of the insides of clouds.

Here are some links about the weather and climate.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

For a more detailed discussion of the implications of visiting at that time of year, you might look at this thread, particularly the posts on March 30.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/first-time-trip-to-europe-seeking-advice

Slowpoke

PS- I like Wengen. Everyone has their own favorites.

If you come by car, there is a large , cheap parking garage at Lauterbrunnen by the station. From there, you can catch the frequent cograil trains to Wengen and beyond.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2016 at 1:45:04 #850135

Are you advising me to choose Lauterbrunnen over Grindelwald??

I’m afraid Wegen might not be suitable as a base in low seasons

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2016 at 9:18:41 #850136

I advise Grindelwald…….. But Wengen is also good.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen in beginning of May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.