Shorten the hike Grindelwald to Bachalpsee lake

Shorten the hike Grindelwald to Bachalpsee lake

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Wassim
Wassim
11 posts
Jul 16, 2016 - 3:03 PM

Hey guys i wanted to plan a walk from grindelwald to bachalpsee lake late july so I guessing it's open, but it's a 3hr & 20min walk; I was wondering, is their a bus or cable car I could take to shorten the trip to 2hrs at the most?

Thanks in advance.

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Jul 16, 2016 - 3:27 PM

Hi Wassim,

You don't need to start from Grindelwald. An alternative is First to Bachalpsee and back. It takes about 2.5 hours. Please find details here: myswissalps.com/ hiking/bachsee.

Wassim
Wassim
11 posts
Jul 16, 2016 - 4:55 PM

Thanks Anro! But do u know a way I could get to First from Grindelwald other than the gandola? Like a train or a cable car

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Jul 16, 2016 - 6:01 PM in reply to Wassim

You're welcome! The only option is the gondola. Or hike.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
Jul 17, 2016 - 12:17 AM in reply to Wassim

<<"the gandola? Like a train or a cable car">>

The "gondola" is a cable car. Not sure about the "gandola."

Relax and enjoy the trip. it is terrific.

Slowpoke

Wassim
Wassim
11 posts
Jul 17, 2016 - 2:29 AM in reply to Slowpoke

A gondola is a Vietnamese boat like the one used in Venice. I'm sure Arno was referring to the "gondola lift" which is another name for the cable car (which I was not aware of at the time).

As for "gandola", that was a typo :P

But thanks for clearing that up ✌

Anyways I decided on taking the cable car from grindelwald to first, then hike upto Bachalosee lake. Should be a great trip!

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Jul 17, 2016 - 7:17 AM in reply to Wassim

Yes, correct. Perhaps I should refer to it as gondola lift. There sure is no boat up the mountain :-) I usually use "gondola" to refer to the small 6 seater cabines like this one: www.panoramio.com/phot o/36970112. A cable car is the larger version like this one: www.panoramio.com/phot o/6064241. And there are ski lifts too, yet another version.

Anyway, the only way to reach First is by the small cable car/gondola lift, or on foot.

Traveller3
Traveller3
60 posts
Jul 17, 2016 - 8:22 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Please let me know how long it would take to walk from Grindelwald to First?

I also came across a package which includes a rail journey from Grindelwald to First. Given below is the link.

www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/destinations/grin delwald-first/first-flyer/#c12129

I assume rail means train, but you have said the only way to travel to the first is by cable car. Appreciate if you can please let me know if the package details are correct.

Thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
Jul 17, 2016 - 8:48 AM in reply to Traveller3

Hi Traveler3-

<<"Please let me know how long it would take to walk from Grindelwald to First?">>

Please refer to the link Arno posted above in this thread for details of the hike.

This map will help to clarify the transport types.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&X=1 65960.00&Y=645910.00&z oom=6

After Grindelwald to First is not a rail road, although in German "die Bahn" is sometimes use to describe gondola lifts (die Gondelbahn) with small cabins and large cabin lifts (die Luftseilbahn.)

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jul 17, 2016 - 8:55 AM by Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
Jul 17, 2016 - 9:24 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno-

I scanned the relevant information from the "Kursbuch" in the section tiled "Time Table Reading" or "Fahrplanlesen." Attached.

The Engllish translations ,as well as the names in all four official languages are shown. So, if you wish to use the proper word in Romansh, it is here.

To add the confusion, I never know what word to use in "American English."

Cableway sounds generic, so I sometimes use that.

The tempting words "cable car" have a problem for those of us who live in the USA.

Here, it refers to a famous form of transport in San Francisco, which are "trams" of sorts pulled by a cable inset in the roadway. The cars have friction grips which grab the cable to move the car. The person who drives the cars is called a "gripman." The cable runs continuously. These were (and still are) used to deal with SF's numerous hills. Not to be confused with street cars. ;-()

www.sfcablecar.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ San_Francisco_cable_ca r_system

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Jul 17, 2016 - 3:56 PM in reply to Traveller3

Hi Traveller3,

They mean the gondola lift here; there's no rail/train. I'd estimate walking from Grindelwald to First to take 2 to 3 hours.

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Jul 17, 2016 - 3:59 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

It's quite a challenge finding the right words in a foreign language for modes of transport most people are not familiar with. Indeed cableway sounds like a good option.

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
30 posts
Jul 18, 2016 - 6:39 AM in reply to Wassim

Just to ad my 2 cents worth. The gondola is the quickest way and the only way apart from hiking. It's quite steep and long from town. We usually take the Gondala and walk back. I've included a photo to give you an idea of the Gondola and the walk

Please login to see the attached documents
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2652 posts
expert
Jul 18, 2016 - 7:40 AM in reply to AlanPrice

Hi Alan -

Nice composition.

Slowpoke

Wassim
Wassim
11 posts
Jul 18, 2016 - 5:20 PM

Thanks for the input Alan 👌

Traveller3
Traveller3
60 posts
Jul 21, 2016 - 1:20 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you.

Traveller3
Traveller3
60 posts
Jul 21, 2016 - 1:21 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016