Grindewald,which station is nearest to the village

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 4:47:06 #808853

Hello all,

Please let me introduce myself. I’m Herman from Indonesia and i will be travelling to switzerland next month.

I am planning to include grindewald on my trip as everytime i googled it, grindewald seems very picturesque village with green meadow and houses and beautiful swiss alps in the background (as the picture i attached). However, grindewald seems a very big area and i cannot point for sure where exactly to find that pucturesque village. i will be travelling via train/bus, therefore it would help to know which station is the nearest to the village.

thank you very much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 April 2016 at 6:49:13 #850534

Hi Herman32, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The town is called Grindelwald. The main train station in the center of town has the same name. There’s only one other train station, which is called Grindelwald Grund. It’s along the rail line to Kleine Scheidegg. Trains can be found in the timetable. Grindelwald itself is a small to mid sized town (depending on what you compare it to) but there are lots of chalets on the surrounding slopes, so you may have seen pictures from those areas as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 9:46:55 #850535

Dear Arno,

Thank you very much for your information. I think i did not post the pircture correctly in the last post therefore i will do so in this post.

As i googled i think the place that most likely to have that kind of panorama is either somewhere nearby grindewald-grund or lauterbrunnen valley. If so, can you help me recommend which one have better panorama?

really thank you for your kind reply!

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 April 2016 at 14:07:58 #850536

Hi Herman32,

I don’t recognize that location but Grindelwald has scenery like that. Lauterbrunnen too, but it’s down in a narrow valley so the views are not that wide; still amazing though, see here. You’ll have wider views up in Wengen for example. The whole Jungfrau region is stunning, and it’s small so you’ll quickly reach beautiful locations wherever you’re based.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2016 at 1:54:01 #850537

Hi Hermann-

I don’t recognize that exact view, but, as Arno notes, it seems like Grindelwakd.

Attached are a couple from the other side of the Männlichen ridge or on the ridge.

The “Grannies’ Walk’ goes along the top of the ridge from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

A map may be useful:

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

and

map.search.ch/?x=-20136m&y=-28464m&z=16

Please note that many of the scenic sites are not easily accessible in early May, because of snow at altitudes above 2000 meters. The walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg will be closed, for example, until very late May or even early June .It is low season…between skiing and hiking… and not many tourists come then, so some hotels may be closed.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Grindewald,which station is nearest to the village’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.