Gruyeres and Lauterbrunnen in March 2016

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2015 at 12:52:40 #807550

Hi all, I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Paris and Switzerland in mid-March 2016 with my 10yodaughter. We will most likely be arriving into Geneva from Paris by train, however I’m not keen to stay in Geneva (feel free to convince me otherwise, however!).

As yet I have not narrowed down the length of the visit to Switzerland, but islikely to be around 5 or 6 days or thereabouts. We are planning toget around by train, and I will look at the (very confusing) pass options once I have narrowed down the itinerary!

I am really drawn to the Gruyere area, and am thinking of stayingthere for a couple of days, doing the chocolate and cheese factories, Les Bains de laGruyere, Château de Gruyères, and possibly a walk through the Gorges of the Jogne (if theyare open). I would also like to visit the Lauterbrunnen area and see Trummelbach falls, possibly Wengen, possibly Jungfraujoch, and Lake Thun perhaps? Is this too optimistic in the timeframe? Or are there other suggestions that I should consider? My daughter would love to get some snow play in if possible.

I’d also welcome your suggestions as to a nice place to base ourselves in the Gruyeres and Lauterbrunnen areas? I prefer a town with some character, rather than somewhere touristy if that makes sense?

Some guides indicate that, as March is the end of the high season, some services may not be running by the middle of the month, and some restaurants might be closed. I think this related to the Alps mainly – would that be correct?

Thanks for your help….I’m very excited about our big adventure!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 July 2015 at 16:42:48 #844453

Hi Megsy13,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You could stay for 3 days in Bulle, or on the lake in Vevey or Montreux. Then the other 3 days in Lauterbrunnen. Nearby Wengen and Mürren are very nice too, and car free so very relaxed. All towns are pretty touristy, although not in a bad way I think, but you’d better avoid Interlaken as that’s the main hub in that area. Lots of tourists there, but mostly in Summer. The other towns however, offer far better scenery. Grindelwald is another option. It’s slightly bigger than Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Wengen.

One can do a lot in 6 days, but things always depend on the weather. So in that respect 3 days per base is not a lot. Please see here for additional information:

Mid March is the end of the Winter sports season. There will be plenty of snow to play with in the higher terrain in the Jungfrau region. Indeed restaurants and cable cars may close around that time, but mostly that’s a little later in the season. This does not apply to the cities so much.

You’re right in first completing your itinerary, to then select a pass based on that. Once you’re ready, have a look at our rail pass section. It’s hopefully less confusing afterwards.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2015 at 23:52:28 #844454

<<“Mid March is the end of the Winter sports season. There will be plenty of snow to play with in the higher terrain in the Jungfrau region. Indeed restaurants and cable cars may close around that time, but mostlythat’s a little later in the season. This does not apply to the cities so much.”>>

Hiking trails at moderate to high altitudes will be closed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2015 at 12:49:00 #844455

Thank you both for your replies. I have much Googling to do! I will be back with any queries 🙂

Thanks for your input

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 July 2015 at 0:37:21 #844456

To refine my earlier comment- mid March is till winter at high altitudes. In the Alps, there will be a lot of snow at moderate elevations ( 1500-1600 meters and above.) At lower altitudes ( not in the Alps) you may still have snow on the ground in shady locations, or may have rain , or may have sunny Spring days. By April it will definitely be Spring.

Many of the places you have listed will be snow free. The Jungfrau will not be. I am unsure, but the Lauterbrunnen Valley may not be ( limited sun light.)

Gruyere will be good, unless there is a late snow storm.

Will you be hiking/walking?

Arno and Annika have a more nuanced version of the weather than I do, but March has never been a good month for me to visit Switzerland. They can suggest places to visit that might be good in March.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2015 at 11:58:10 #844457

Thanks for your clarification, Slowpoke. We will not be hiking/walking a great deal, although Pont de Broc and the gorges of the Jogne look lovely, and if they are open, we may do a gentle walk through there.

I’m not expecting snow in the lower areas, which is why I was thinking of visiting Jungfraujoch, as I think my daughter would enjoy the ice scultptures, and would definitely love a frolic in the snow. Unfortunately we are tied in to a specific occasion that we are travelling for, so the time of year cannot be helped…..all suggestions are gratefully accepted!

I’m leaning towards Vevey for the initial Gruyeres part of the trip, but have not settled on anywhere for the Lauterbrunnen valley as yet. Still giving Google a good workout! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 July 2015 at 17:52:04 #844458

<<“but have not settled on anywhere for the Lauterbrunnen valley as yet. Still giving Google a good workout! :-)”>>

Here is some thorough information, mostly focused on Wengen.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

You mentioned Vevey in the west. Should be nice and warm….sunny location.

Consider the short train ride up to Puidoux through the vineyards.

Better in the fall, near harvest time, but, stil, quite nice.

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Gruyeres and Lauterbrunnen in March 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.