Half fare and family card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2016 at 1:14:01 #810187

We have bought half fare card for 1 month to cover stay in Switzerland. We also have child age 15 and 13. When I look to purchase tickets online I’m not sure what to enter to get child fare free.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 October 2016 at 8:21:07 #856391

Welcome to MySwissAlps Kaitlin!

If you have a Swiss Family Card, the children travel for free, so you do not need tickets for them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2016 at 8:28:54 #856392

Thank you for your quick reply!! If I don’t book a ticket for them will there def be a seat for them.

also one of the tickets I’m trying to book is from Murren to Milan… How will this work if I don’t book a ticket for them?? I am very confused!! It lets you put a junior card but not family card in online??

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 October 2016 at 8:44:40 #856393

You’re welcome!

Tickets do not guarantee a seat. Seat reservations are separate, but very uncommon in Switzerland. No need to have them, except on a few special tourist trains.

A trip to Milan is a bit different because Italy is not covered by the Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s explained on the Swiss Half Fare Card page. Basically you buy discounted tickets to the border (Domodossola) for the adults, and no tickets for the children. You can buy those tickets at any time in Switzerland; they do not sell out. From the border to Milan, you can buy tickets in advance for all travelers through any of the websites listed here. These tickets will have seat reservations included.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2016 at 10:21:58 #856394

Does the same apply for travel from Zurich airport to Wengen return? (2 adults and 3 kids aged 4-9). I pay half price for the 2 adults and all 3 kids are free? is this the same for first and standard class? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2016 at 10:35:39 #856395

Great! That makes it much clearer and no need to rush!!

We are coming to Murren from Munich….. Should we just do the same – what would be the station I should book from to buy tickets with my half fare card…

Thank you soooo much

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 October 2016 at 12:27:17 #856396

Hi rsgjd,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Yes, sure, this applies to all covered routes in Switzerland (a map can be found here), in either 1st or 2nd class.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 October 2016 at 12:31:38 #856397

Hi Kaitlin,

Yes, it works the same way coming from Germany. There are various routes though, so the border station depends on how you travel. It could be Basel, Schaffhausen, Zurich, etc. In this case it could make sense to buy the tickets for the Swiss leg in advance too, even though you don’t have to. It would prevent you from getting off the train at the border station. The tickets for the German leg can be found here: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/germany/ price.

• The thread ‘Half fare and family card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.