Half fare card for 1 months vs 1/2/3 years

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2014 at 18:01:52 #806533

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, I just wanted to say that I am finding this site in addition to the forum extremely useful in prepping for our first trip to Interlaken. We (my husband and I) plan to be there for 3 days, and items on our itinerary are Jungfrau, Harder Kulm, Lauterbrunnen day trip, and para gliding in INT. We will be arriving from Venice via the following route: VEN-MILAN-SPIEZ-INT OST.

We will be leaving to Paris via the following route:INTOST-BERN-GENEVA-PARIS (Oct 5th 10:30 AM departure). If I purchase the 1 month half fare card, can I use it for a discount on the trip to Paris for an example, when booking on the SBB website? Unfortunately, when asked for passes in providing a “reduction”, the only option I see is “Half fare travel card-1/2/3 year”. Can I select this option if I have the 1 month travel card? Any other options for passes or recommendations, if applicable, in providing an economical trip would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 July 2014 at 13:03:38 #840715

Hello Leah86,

Thanks for your compliments! We love to help people making the best of their trip to the Alps. Let’s see if I can help you out too:

The Swiss Half Fare Card provides 50% off nearly all transportation in Switzerland. In your case, that would include the leg Domodossola to Interlaken Ost (incoming) and Interlaken Ost to Geneva (outgoing). The legs in Italy and France should be paid for normally. I would recommend to do your outgoing transfer via Bern and Basel, not via Geneva, which is quite a detour. If you buy tickets at the SBB site, you can just select the 1/2/3 year card. Note for other people who read this: this does not apply when traveling to Germany or Austria, as explained here.

A 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass or 4-day Swiss Pass might be the cheaper option for you: for starters, you can get a $75 discount on these passes. Towns like Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald can be reached for free, and the boat trips from Interlaken are free too. The incoming and outgoing legs I mentioned above are also free, so you would just need tickets to Domodossola and from Basel (or Geneva if you prefer). The only thing more expensive is the Jungfraujoch trip (free to Wengen and 25% off beyond that, instead of 50% all the way with the Swiss Half Fare Card). I think it is worth exploring this option too. It’s the more convenient and flexible option (no need to buy tickets for most trips), and it may save you money too. See here if you want to do the math.

How to save on tickets to Paris is explained here. The tickets can be purchased along with the pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2014 at 16:23:27 #840716

Thanks Annika! I will begin doing the math with the Flexi pass and the 4 day Swiss pass. Given your post above, my understanding is that when purchasing tickets on the SBB site, it is OK to select “half fare-1/2/3 year” option to receive a reduction even though one would have the half fare 1 MONTH card instead of the half fare 1/2/3 year card. Please confirm. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 July 2014 at 16:47:44 #840717

That is correct!

• The thread ‘Half fare card for 1 months vs 1/2/3 years’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.