Half fare card & Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2010 at 2:21:53 #804015

Hi,

I am arriving in Zurich on Oct 12 and understand I can get my half fare card at the station in the airport. I would like to take the Glacier Express on Oct 13 from St Moritz to Zermat. I would like to book my GE ticket online. Question is, will I be able to purchase the GE tickets using the half fare card which I will purchase when I get into Zurich?

Patricia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 September 2010 at 5:50:40 #831879

Hello Patricia,

Yes, you can get the Half Fare Card at the station in the airport of Zürich. But if your are ordering online for the Glacier Express you could purchase your Half Fare Card online at the same time.

Making reservations for the Glacier Express can be done here. As you can see at this page you can purchase your ticket at the same time (see: Do you need train tickets). You can indicate that you will be using a half fare ticket (= Your Half Fare Card).

I hope this answers your question. Have a nice stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2010 at 12:07:47 #831880

Thank you very much. I booked my half fare card — keeping my fingers crossed to receive them in the mail! I also made the GE reservation per the link you gave and it says they will revert in 48 hours. I hope I can the tickets.

I am spending the night at Zermatt and then have to go to Geneva from there. Do I have to book the tickets ahead or can I get them the day before or on the day itself? Also, is there only one station in Geneva or there are many??

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 September 2010 at 14:11:21 #831881

Hi Patricia,

I recently ordered Raill Passes from this website through Swiss Travel System and received the passes within 5 days (did you order your pass through there too?). I don’t think you have to worry. You probably have received an e-mail to confirm your order and in this e-mail you might find a telephone number which you can use if you have questions, e.g. about your order.

As you are not going to travel by one of the Panoramic or Scenic trains you don’t have to book ahead: you can buy your ticket just before your train trip.

No, there are not many railway stations in Geneva: the main stations are Geneva (central station) and Geneva Airport.

Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Half fare card & Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.