Half fare card question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2010 at 4:05:36 #803896

Hello,

First of all, let me say this is a very good site, forum and all, thank you!
    I do, however, have a few questions:

– in your site the price for a half fare card is given as 99 CHF, however when I check the site of the SBB I see higher prices, can you please clarify?

Also, we are a family of 5, our oldest child is 16 – turning 17 in August. Our trip will be over before his 17th birthday, am I correct in assuming he will be considered 16 in Switzerland? And will the special 16 year old half fare card apply to him?

I couldn’t find information regarding the applicability of the half fare card on boat trips, e.g. on Lake Geneve, or in Luzern. Could you help me?

And finally, will we be able to purchase the half fare cards in Geneva, in a central train station or somewhere similar? Will it be just a simple process of buying them in the ticket offices?

Thank you ever so much for your help.

Nomi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    6 July 2010 at 9:23:34 #831503

Hello Nomi,
    I agree with you about this site 🙂 and I’m happy to try to give you some answers:

I am not sure where you found other prices for the Swiss Half Fare Card. Maybe you were looking on this page of the SBB?
    There is a difference between the Swiss Half Fare Card for tourists and the Half-Fare travelcard which, if I am right, is only meant for residents/inhabitants of Switzerland. But I am sure that the Swiss Half Fare Card you are looking for costs CHF 99 per person, second class and valid during one month.

Children up to and including 15 years will travel for free. The special 16 year old Half-Fare travelcard seems to be only for inhabitants of Switzerland too, so I guess you will have to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card for your eldest son as well.

On the on the link concerning the Swiss Half Fare Card you will notice that it will give you a 50% discount on boat trips.

You can order your Swiss Half Fare Cards here. If you don’t want to order online or if there is not enough time left before you leave, purchasing the Cards can easily be done at any larger SBB Railway Station, e.g. Geneva.

I hope this helps, and I wish you and your family a very pleasant stay in beautiful Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2010 at 15:39:06 #831504

Thank you very much, this helps a lot!

Nomi

• The thread ‘Half fare card question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.