Swiss Half Fare Card to buy a one day pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 11:28:52 #812958

Hi All,

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.

I am planning to reach Basel on Saturday 19th Aug and will travel to Engelberg (Mt. Titlis) on 20th Sunday.

1) Do I need to have half fare card to buy the One day Travel pass? I

2) If I travel after 9 am, what will be the cost of one- day travel pass.

3)If I need to frequently travel to Basel- Lucerne- Engelberg through all public transport in two days (20 Aug and 21st Aug, 2017 ) which card shall I buy.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 12:15:18 #868319

Hi AliyaFathima and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes – You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online here.
    2. Its about 15 euro/CHF cheaper – you can find a link to buy either pass online here.
    3. This depends on exactly what you are planning to do – but I it may be worth buying both if you are traveling frequently as you say. You trips need to be more than about 60 CHF each day to make the 1 day travel Pass (9 O’clock) worth it (and you would have already spent 120chf on the Swiss Half Fare Card).

If you want to add up your trip costs to be sure of the value see our page here on how to choose the best rail pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 15:07:20 #868320

Thank you Lucas for the reply. I need a little help on the same.

1) on 20th Aug, Sunday Morning I want to travel to Engelberg, go to Top of the Mount Titlis- Use cable cars (Sightseeing only) . later half of the day I would like to visit Rhine falls and see the city (My hotel booking will be in Engelberg).

2) Second day I would first like to to travel to Lucerne (Train or boat), see the city and back to Basel by (boat trip only) where my train is at 5 PM. Will I fit in the time frame?

Please let me know if this is all possible in two days and which pass is worth it ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2017 at 1:25:45 #868321

Hi Aliya-

<<“later half of the day I would like to visit Rhine falls and see the city (My hotel booking will be in Engelberg).”>>

I’d skip the Rhine Falls; there are lots of waterfalls around the world. A long trip for a sight that has no special Swiss character.

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

The time table will show you that it is a very long trip from Engelberg to the Rhine Falls. I’d explore Engelberg, Mt.Titlis and Luzern on that day, and not necessarily in that order.

Use the time table to understand scheduling:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the introductory page.

A map is always helpful when you are laying out journeys:

map.search.ch/

Zoom in and you can see the train tracks.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 8:35:20 #868322

Hi AliyaFathima,

1. I think there are more interesting sights near Luzern than the RheinFalls but it is your call.
    2. Engelberg to Luzern to Basel in one day is fine. You can travel part of the trip from Engelberg to Luzern by boat (Hergiswil See to Luzern Bahnhofquai) but not on to Basel.

In the end I think the Swiss Half Fare Card only is the best bet for you.

To be sure you will need to plan out your trips and do the math to compare tickets vs. a rail pass.
    Check out our page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card to buy a one day pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.