Half-Fare Card & Train Zurich Airp-Stein Am RheinI

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2014 at 23:29:22 #806484

I’m apparently quite challenged in the rail department. i am trying to find out if the one month Half-Fare card can be purchased at the airport in Zurich and then used immediately for transport to Stein Am Rhein. If it can be purchased at the airport then where?

After that, people we are meeting on 7 August, need to get from Zurich Airport to Stein am Rhein. I need to know how to advise them on this and on a place we can meet there later in the day. When I look at the timetables on SBB it says there are no trains, so I am obviously entering something wrong. They arrive at 09:45am and will need adequate time to collect luggage and clear customs before purchasing a HFC and boarding a train.

I will also need to advise them on how to return to Zurich Airport on 14 August from Zollikoffen early in the morning on 14 August to catch a 10:30am flight to the U.S.

I also need to figure prices per person for each leg. I’m guessing they can buy them at each station? Don’t know why I can’t work the website? 🙁

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2014 at 2:31:24 #840377

I think I figured it out, but it won’t give me the timetable on this route for the days I need. I have to pick a week a few weeks earlier. It’s not like that on other routes. Strange.
    Which train stop in Stein Am Rhein is the most convenient place to wander around and see tourist stuff….also to meet up? Preferably someplace with luggage lockers since it may be a few hours before we can hook up with them.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 July 2014 at 6:05:14 #840378

Hi wsantelope,

You can get the Swiss Half Fare Card online through the Swiss railways webshop, various other websites and at any staffed station in Switzerland, including the one at the airport. An overview of all the options is here. Also be sure to check if any promotions would save you money.

The timetable shows the available trains, also for August 7. But it just does not show prices for more than one month ahead. The price won’t change though. A single ticket is CHF 19.20, without the 50% discount of the Swiss Half Fare Card. Trains do not need to be booked in advance, so you can just buy a ticket and board the first one that is convenient for you.

There is only one train station in Stein am Rhein; it’s 5 minutes on foot from the little town center. The station has a few lockers (size: 25 x 42 x 75 cm).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2014 at 15:24:31 #840379

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Half-Fare Card & Train Zurich Airp-Stein Am RheinI’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.