Half Fare Travelcard v Swiss Half Fare Card

• Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    6 October 2016 at 21:30:33 #810204

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the updated alternatives on Swiss rail travel! I went to the details tab for the Half Fare Travelcard / Swiss Half Fare Card and just wish to confirm my understanding (or lack thereof) of the following: ‘The Half-Fare travelcard offers a 50% discount on train tickets to Swiss citizens and is valid for 1, 2 or 3 years.’

Looking at the application form on the SBB website in conjunction with your description about its validity for Swiss citizens, it does appear that you are not able to purchase the Half Fare Travelcard unless you have a Swiss or other named passport (Australia is not in the list).

My hope is that only these passport holders are able to purchase the Half Fare Travelcard online, but that the rest of us will be able to show our documents at the entry railway station and purchase there, along with the one month travelpass as per Mageo’s suggestion.

In short, my question is: Is the Half Fare Travelcard available only to people with a ‘Passport or ID card from Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy or Liechtenstein’ , or can it be purchased by people from other countries?

Thanks! I suspect hope is driving this question…!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 October 2016 at 7:49:52 #856448

Hi Minnie,

That is a good find, thanks! Well, “good” in the sense that I didn’t notice that before, and it is very relevant. I’m quite sure that requirement wasn’t listed when I looked into Swiss Travel Pass alternatives a few weeks ago in the other thread. But now it is and indeed they require a passport from Switzerland or one of the surrounding countries. It seems like a fairly new requirement. I know that some people from other countries currently have a one year Half-Fare Travelcard, including forum member Slowpoke. I guess this rules out this product combination as a viable alternative for a one month Swiss Travel Pass. I have adjusted our Details tab. It lists some alternatives to consider, including this one (although only applicable to a few travelers).

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    7 October 2016 at 22:51:15 #856449

Thanks Arno. You’ve provided some excellent alternatives. We just love going first class, so it’ll cost us more. But we put our $2 coins in a souvenir cowbell and it’s amazing how much we can save between trips to fund this luxury!!!

Happy travels to those lucky enough to be enjoying the Swiss autumn

• The thread ‘Half Fare Travelcard v Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.