Half Price Pass or Not?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2011 at 16:21:00 #804651

We will arrive in Zurich two weeks from now. Should I buy a half price pass for both my husband and I or just do point to point tickets along the way? Does the half price pass give you half price from Murren to Jungfraujoch (top of mountain)?

Day 1 Arrive Zurich train to Lucerne
    Day 2 and 3 in Lucerne – take boat tour
    Day 4 Lucerne to Bern – stop for day trip in Bern – go onto Murren late in day
    Day 5,6,7 Murren – with side trips to Schilthorn, also side trip to Jungfraujoch and side trip around the valley to Grindewald and Wengen while we are there.
    Day 8 Murren to Geneva – morning travel – afternoon boat trip in Geneva
    Day 9 Husband flies home. I train to Lausanne for three days of work. Return via train to Geneva airport after three days.

Is it worth buying the half price card for 2nd class travel? Should we buy it online (we only have U.S. credit cards) or when we arrive in Zurich.

Thanks for any help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 August 2011 at 10:36:51 #834057

Hello JudithWilson, and welcome to the forum! Yes, in your case a Swiss rail pass is definitely cheaper than buying point to point tickets. The Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good option indeed. It provides a 50% discount on nearly all trips (including Mürren-Jungfraujoch). All specifics, including purchase options, are listed at the Swiss Half Fare Card page. You’ll also find a link to a map showing the validity area there.

If the idea of unlimited traveling (without having to buy any individual (discounted) tickets for each trip) appeals to you, you may want to look into the Swiss Pass as well. It’s by far the most convenient way of traveling in Switzerland. An alternative is the Swiss Flexi Pass, offering a number of free travel days and discounts on other days. The Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass can both be purchased online from the United States, which is a lot cheaper than buying the passes locally in Switzerland. Just fill out your country of residence and further data in the upper right corner of each pass page for up to date prices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2011 at 11:21:21 #834058

Thanks for your reply. I see that if you buy the half price pass in Switzerland it’s 139 sfr or buying it from here it’s 167 sfr. Is it true you have to sign up for the Visa card in order to get the lower price? I don’t see how to buy it at the lower rate without applying for the card. Can you shed any light on this? Thanks.

Just one more question about tickets: We may cut out Bern and go Zurich Lurcerne, Murren and surrounding areas, Gruyeres/Broc, Lausanne, Geneva. Does one just buy a Golden Pass ticket from start to finish and get on and off or do we still need to buy the tickets individually along the way if we are stopping?

Thanks.

Judith

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 August 2011 at 11:38:31 #834059

Hi Judith,

Now that you mention these other towns + the Golden Pass, I think an 8-day Swiss Pass (day 1 to 8) would suit you plans well. It would also make it easier to have last minute changes without extra costs. As you’ll be leaving quite soon, please mind the shipping times if you choose to purchase online. All details are on the Swiss Pass page I linked to earlier.

With a Swiss Pass, you don’t need any tickets for the Golden Pass. Just hop on and off the trains as you like. Only if you select the “official” Golden Pass Panoramic train, you would need seat reservations. With a Swiss Half Fare Card, you would need a reduced ticket for the leg you want to travel that day, and still you can hop on and off as much as you want.

I don’t understand your question about signing up for a Visa card. Is that a requirement you read on another website?

• The thread ‘Half Price Pass or Not?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.