Half price rail pass Zurich to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2015 at 12:33:09 #808193

I purchased 3 Half Price Rail Passes for our January holiday. We will be flying into Zurich on Friday 8 Jan and travelling by train to Zermatt on Saturday 9 Jan. I understand that I cannot reserve tickets on the train from Zurich to Brig. However, I read that reservations must be made on the Glacier Express from Brig to Zermatt. Does this mean I have to pay full price on the Glacier Express? Or how do I reserve tickets with the Half Price Rail Passes ? I’m confused. I want to ensure seats on the train that day and I have read that the trains can be crowded.

Thanks E

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 December 2015 at 16:12:24 #847260

Hi E, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I suppose you mean the Swiss Half Fare Card, right? If so, you can purchase a 50% discounted ticket to Zermatt in Zurich. There is no need for reservations, and you won’t be traveling on the Glacier Express. Theoretically you can, but it would be a waste of money to pay the reservation fee for such a short leg. You simply take a regular local train, which is the more flexible option as they run more frequently.

For your information: if you take the quickest trains to Zermatt you won’t be touching Brig (see the timetable). You’ll travel from Zurich to Visp, there you’ll change for Zermatt. The trains to Visp allow reservations but very few people book these (you can purchase them on the 8th if you want to). The trains to Zermatt do not allow reservations.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Half price rail pass Zurich to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.