Harder Kulm or Schynige Platte

Harder Kulm or Schynige Platte

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
anandrajk
anandrajk
8 posts
Jun 5, 2011 - 2:48 AM
If i had limited time and had to choose between Harder Kulm and Schynige Platte what would you recommend. Just looking for best views of both the lakes and surrounding areas.

Anand
Olga
Olga
460 posts
top member
Jun 5, 2011 - 5:23 AM
Hello Anand,

Without any doubt: Schynige Platte. It will take you about an hour to get there from Wilderswil by cog railway - but only that train ride is a wonderful experience!
So, if you have time, this would be my advise.

Have a nice trip,
kim11
kim11
320 posts
top member
Jun 5, 2011 - 12:13 PM
I second Schynige Platte, breathtaking. Take time to walk around up top a bit, there are some nice short strolls. The restaurant up top is quite good, too.
anandrajk
anandrajk
8 posts
Jun 5, 2011 - 1:09 PM
Thanks. I am just concerned if we would get too bored with the trains and mt view tops because we are planning to go up Schithorn and then finally Jungfrauyoch as well.
kim11
kim11
320 posts
top member
Jun 5, 2011 - 1:53 PM
I'll venture my opinions on these three sites. Please note that all of this is my opinion only! I find the views from Schynige Platte and Schilthorn more compelling than the views from Jungfraujoch. You have 360 degree vistas with the first two, with the latter you are atop the tallest mountain and looking down with a reduced scope of view. You also spend a great deal of time in the train in a tunnel on the way up, whereas with SP and Schilthorn you have a great view all the way to the top. I find the main draw of the Jungfraujoch ascent is the engineering miracle of the train and the facility itself, and the fact that you are atop a permanent glacier. If you do make the trip up, be sure to take the short walk out to the Mönchsblick Hütte, where you will have a different view and the experience of visiting a true (although quite upscale) alpine hut.

Depending on how long you will be in the region the chances of you getting three clear days to make all three of these ascents is somewhat small, so I'd prioritize them. My priority would be 1) Schilthorn, 2) SP, 3) Jungfraujoch.

And if you get "peaked out" spend half a day cruising Lake Brienz instead! :-)

anandrajk said: Thanks. I am just concerned if we would get too bored with the trains and mt view tops because we are planning to go up Schithorn and then finally Jungfrauyoch as well.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016