Harder Kulm or Schynige Platte

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2011 at 0:48:56 #804364

If i had limited time and had to choose between Harder Kulm and Schynige Platte what would you recommend. Just looking for best views of both the lakes and surrounding areas.

Anand

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    5 June 2011 at 5:23:26 #833061

Hello Anand,

Without any doubt: Schynige Platte. It will take you about an hour to get there from Wilderswil by cog railway – but only that train ride is a wonderful experience!
    So, if you have time, this would be my advise.

Have a nice trip,

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    5 June 2011 at 12:13:43 #833062

I second Schynige Platte, breathtaking. Take time to walk around up top a bit, there are some nice short strolls. The restaurant up top is quite good, too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2011 at 13:09:21 #833063

Thanks. I am just concerned if we would get too bored with the trains and mt view tops because we are planning to go up Schithorn and then finally Jungfrauyoch as well.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    5 June 2011 at 13:53:37 #833064

I’ll venture my opinions on these three sites. Please note that all of this is my opinion only! I find the views from Schynige Platte and Schilthorn more compelling than the views from Jungfraujoch. You have 360 degree vistas with the first two, with the latter you are atop the tallest mountain and looking down with a reduced scope of view. You also spend a great deal of time in the train in a tunnel on the way up, whereas with SP and Schilthorn you have a great view all the way to the top. I find the main draw of the Jungfraujoch ascent is the engineering miracle of the train and the facility itself, and the fact that you are atop a permanent glacier. If you do make the trip up, be sure to take the short walk out to the Mönchsblick Hütte, where you will have a different view and the experience of visiting a true (although quite upscale) alpine hut.

Depending on how long you will be in the region the chances of you getting three clear days to make all three of these ascents is somewhat small, so I’d prioritize them. My priority would be 1) Schilthorn, 2) SP, 3) Jungfraujoch.

And if you get “peaked out” spend half a day cruising Lake Brienz instead! 🙂

[quote]anandrajk said: Thanks. I am just concerned if we would get too bored with the trains and mt view tops because we are planning to go up Schithorn and then finally Jungfrauyoch as well.[/quote]

• The thread ‘Harder Kulm or Schynige Platte’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.