Hello! Some questions about trip to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2012 at 7:50:21 #805435

Hello ! I’m planning to go to Zermatt next week, but I have encountered several problems about
    the ticket prices and the rail pass, could someone kindly answer them for me ? Thanks !
    Below are the questions :
    1. How much reduction do I get if I use an “Eurail” pass to go from Zermatt to Schwarzsee
    then to Zermatt glacier paradise ? Or they simply give away 25% reduction for all routes in Zermatt to eurail pass holders ?
    Do they have a route reduction map like this one from jungfraujoch (click “reduction” on right above) ? (http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/tickets-fares/)

2. I know there is a price list for all my trips above in the website as here : http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cf/p_rates_matterhorn_glacier_paradise
    but I’m a little confused, don’t know all the price indicate single trip only or return included, and assume if that’s only single trip,
    the total cost for my trip would be 32(zermatt->schwarzsee) + 42(schwarzsee->paradise) then double for return, in total of 148, is that correct ? (without considering the railpass reduction)
    Or I just simply choose the ticket 64(zermatt->paradise) ? But I also want to get down at schwarzsee to walk around, is it possible I get down with this ticket ?

3. Does anyone happen to know the train price to go from Disentis to Zermatt (just regio not Glacier) ? I searched
    the entire website of Gotthard bahn but only to find booking , and it doesn’t tell you the price after the booking either … I figured maybe SBB has what I look for so I check the time table but amazing things happened … the price for regio and glacier is the same (84 CHF) , except for the reservation fee … is this true or something went wrong with my searching? Or the reservation fee already reflects the higher costs for glacier express?

Thank you to whoever answer my questions, cheers ! 😉
    Howard

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 July 2012 at 2:29:36 #836633

Hello Howard, and welcome! On all of our Eurail pass pages, you’ll find a link to a downloadable network map showing the validity in Switzerland. Schwarzsee isn’t included, so you’ll have to pay the regular full fare for this trip. Swiss rail passes do offer discounts on Schwarzsee (and many more mountain trains and cable cars).

I understand your confusion with the prices mentioned at the Zermatt website. However, the German version of the website mentions that the listed prices are for single trips only. So yes, you have to double them for a return trip. The tickets mentioned are all valid for one day: it’s no problem to get out along the way, do some hiking and then continue your trip. If you want to be absolutely sure of further details you encounter in the price list, you can best contact Zermatt tourism.

Train prices are all the same, regardless of the type of train that’s used. The only difference between the Glacier Express and regular trains is the booking fee. Prices can indeed be obtained through the timetable (be sure to untick the ‘half-fare’ box to see regular full prices) and at the Glacier Express website.

I hope this helps you prepare for your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2012 at 5:14:57 #836634

Thank you so much !! This is definitely a great help !! 😀
    And one more quick question ! I checked the eurail coverage map, and I found one of my trip legs from Visp to Bern would go through a tunnel which is
    indicated in red dotted line (Visp -> Spiez) , but the train type is IC, does that mean it’s actually covered by Eurail? And how much discount do I get
    if that’s not covered by Eurail? 25% again ??

Thanks again ! Cheers !
    Howard

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 July 2012 at 5:06:40 #836635

Hi Howard,

Your Eurail pass includes free traveling through that tunnel as well, regardless of the train type.

• The thread ‘Hello! Some questions about trip to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.