Help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2011 at 15:59:52 #804401

I am staying in Lake Como (Bellano) on Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th July and then I want to go to Zermatt either from Como or from Milan on Wed 6th July . On Fri 8th July I want to go to Lucerne (from Zermatt) and then on Sunday 10th July I want to travel back to Milan (from Lucerne) .

On the days I am in Zermatt I want to go to see Matterhorn and Gonergrat . When I am in Lucerne I want to see Pilatus and Rigi.

What is the best rail pass to get.

If I buy my ticket on the day for travel in italy and then onto Swiss ….will the rail people in Milan account for my Swiss Saver Pass when I purchase the ticket, i.e only charge for the journey up to the swiss border?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2011 at 18:01:18 #833185

I am travelling with my partner on all days . I have been told that the Swiss Saver Pass allows you to travel for up to five days on consecutive or non con cecutive days is this correct?

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 June 2011 at 6:30:28 #833186

Hi PinkPenguin, and welcome! First, as for the Swiss (Saver) Pass: it’s valid for either 4, 8, 15 or 22 consecutive days or 1 consecutive month. The Swiss Flexi Saver Pass is a variant offering a number non-consecutive days of free travel, and discounts on other days. You’ll find all details on the Swiss (Saver) Pass and the Swiss (Saver) Flexi Pass page.

For your itinerary, a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is the best option. It offers 3 days of free traveling, to be used for your inbound journey on July 6 (the pass is valid from Domodossola or Chiasso onwards, depending on your train connection), your trip from Zermatt to Lucerne on July 8, and your outbound journey from Lucerne to Milan (the pass is valid up to the Swiss border, being either Domodossola or Chiasso). On the remaining days, you’ll receive a 50% discount.

If you buy the ticket for your inbound journey at Milan, and if you have a valid Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, you only have to purchase a ticket up to Domodossola or Chiasso (please refer to the timetable to choose your connection). From Domodossola or Chiasso, the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass will serve as your ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2011 at 15:10:29 #833187

Hi Annika,

You are very helpful. Thank-you! I just wanted to know also if it is worth me buying the excusion tickets to matterhorn which are advertised on the swiss railways.com website, or should I just use the 50% discount I get with the swiss flexi pass? Is it worth paying for excusrions online now or just paying on the day ? Swiss railways are giving a reduction in price from 58 to 38 GPB but not sure if this is worth paying now on internet (this is in specific reference to matterhorn excursion).

Annika
    7104 posts
    16 June 2011 at 12:28:55 #833188

Hello PinkPenguin. Glad I could help!

The regular Matterhorn prices can be found here. This overview will allow you to compare the offer you mentioned with the Swiss Flexi Pass rate (50% discount). I don’t know if there are shipping costs involved in this offer; that can make a difference as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2011 at 17:23:12 #833189

Hello Again, Sorry to keep asking so many questions…..but I wanted to know if i will need to change trains when I get to Dormodossola (in order to get to Zermatt) . Also do I need to validate my swiss flexi pass once i leave italy and travel through to Swiss , i.e do i have get of the train at dormodossola and go to someone to activiate my first free day of travel with the swiss pass.

I am wondering this, as if the train from milan happens to keep going onto zermatt, I feel I will be wasting my time getting of the train and on the train again …just to validate my swiss pass….i might need to wait for the next train by doing this. Incidentally do you know f any trains that do in fact run direct from milan to zermatt. I went onto the trentalia italian rail and it did not recognise zermatt as a station.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 June 2011 at 1:41:29 #833190

Hi PinkPenguin,

For connection details, you can best check the timetable Annika mentioned. As for validation: depending on where you purchase your pass, you can either validate it yourself (we call this “Quick transfer” in our reseller overviews on each pass page), or you need a stamp from railway personnel. In the latter case, it can be done at a Swiss station or on board of international trains bound for Switzerland. You need to ask the conductor to validate your pass before you reach the first station where free traveling starts; Domodossola in your case.

• The thread ‘Help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.