Help booking Golden Pass with a day in Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2016 at 1:47:12 #808360

Hello,

On June 11 my husband and I would like to get on the earliest possible Golden Pass Scenic train in Montreux and make it to Lucerne in the evening, with a full day stop in Interlaken.

We will appreciate a help to book the train tickets (do we need reservations separately?) with the ability to stop in Interlaken, store our luggage there, join a day tour to the Jungfrau and vicinity, and then get on the train to complete the day in Lucerne.

Is there a service that would arrange the entire trip for us?

Thank you in advance,

AK

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2016 at 6:09:25 #848124

Hi AK, thanks for joining us!

The 7:44 train is the first official Panoramic train (see the timetable). You’ll be in Interlaken around 11:00, which is too late to join guided tours (the ones I know depart earlier). I’d recommend to take a train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, Kleine Scheidegg, Grindelwald and back to Interlaken. Then take the Golden Pass line to Lucerne.

You can send your luggage to Lucerne or take it along and store it in lockers in Interlaken: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage.

As for the costs: that depends on your other travel plans in Switzerland. Once you have a list of all your trips, including cable cars, boat trips, etc., you can pick a rail pass as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2016 at 11:50:21 #848125

Dear Arno,

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply.

I think that it would be best for us to take the morning Golden Pass Panoramic straight to Lucerne and consider an organized all-day tour to Jungfray on the following day.

Any ticket advice and tour reccomdation will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

AK

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2016 at 12:35:19 #848126

You’re welcome AK! From Lucerne, there’s this well reviewed guided day tour to the Jungfraujoch: viator.com/tours/Lucer ne/Jungfraujoch-Top-of-Europe-Day-Trip-from-Lucerne/d576-2460JUNG_L.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2016 at 23:28:20 #848127

Thanks again!

I am trying to figure out how to book the Golden Pass from Montreux to Lucerne and the booking sites list train numbers, but do not indicate the types.

Also, is it worth splurging on VIP seats and how to do so?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2016 at 23:29:50 #848128

Also, I do not see any direct trains so it appears I need to book two trips. Please, advise best option.

Thank you in advance!

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 February 2016 at 6:09:15 #848129

Hi AK,

You don’t need to book seats, apart from the VIP seats if you want them (I’d recommended it). Please see myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/ tickets. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, for example, you just board any train on the Golden Pass line. No tickets or bookings required. There are indeed no direct trains, you need to change at least twice.

I’d recommend to first pick a rail pass based on all your plans, as suggested in my first post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 0:57:21 #848130

Hi, Arno,

I just replied to your correspondence with SR1000 re: GoldenPass reservations. I am very disappointed with the website. I have already booked Swiss Travel Pass so the VIP reservation was the only addition left to purchase for our trip. I have also contacted Goldenpass customer support for any assistance in recovering my booking, but I have no proof of it. Any other ideas?

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 February 2016 at 11:20:57 #848131

Hi AK,

Yes, that site is not very handy at all. It’s not ours, so I can’t help with failed bookings. Were you actually charged for that booking? If not, you can try again. If you did get charged, the GoldenPass people will have to solve this for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 13:28:25 #848132

Dear Arno,

I just completed the reservation and received confirmation email. Thanks again!

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 February 2016 at 13:40:47 #848133

Great, enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 22:21:00 #848134

Dear Arno, one more question.

It appears that our Golden Pass train 3118 on June 11 arrives Zweissimen at 11: 32 and next train to Interlaken is at 11:38. Will we be able to make it? Next is in another 2 hours so we would like to make the earlier train to get to Lucerne at a reasonable time.

Re there other options to get to Lucerne from Zweissimen?

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2016 at 11:51:39 #848135

No problem at all. Short transfer times are perfectly normal in Switzerland and are considered efficient. I understand it feels a bit hasty, but in reality one almost always makes a connection like this. If not, you can take the next train at 12:01 (see the timetable).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2016 at 12:24:28 #848136

Thank you, Arno!

• The thread ‘Help booking Golden Pass with a day in Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.