Help buying Swiss Travel Pass and print at home

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 16:06:25 #811706

Hi,

I want to get our swiss travel pass tickets online and print them at home before my trip.

it says ‘We will send out the documents as soon as possible, at the latest 2 till 3 weeks prior to your departure.’ are they mailing them or emailing them to me?

can i get more information on this. since i’m going to be in other countries before switzerland and not at my home in the USA so I want to make sure I can print them out soon after purchasing.

also for the start date I am choosing the first day I’m in switzerland. how do we validate the passes?

thanks,

Amy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 17:19:24 #862900

Hi Amy,

I went through the Rick Steves site (which takes you to SBB) here: ricksteves.raileurope. com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html

The e-pass choices are pretty clear and I believe they are emailed within 3 working days. I ordered them during the week and think they actually came the next day. You’ll need the birthday and passport number for each ticket you’re ordering.

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 May 2017 at 17:25:24 #862901

Hi Amy,

You can go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, start ordering the pass, pick the first date you want to use the pass, and fill out your address. Next, pick “E-ticket” when asked for the delivery option. This makes sure you will receive the pass through e-mail so you can print it at home.

The message about the 2-3 weeks is a standard message and only applies to people who order a long time before they need the pass. I’m not sure when you depart from home, but to be absolutely sure you can use the Notes field to say that you want to receive the pass immediately.

You don’t need to validate the pass. Just print it and you’ll be ready to travel.

For a list of all websites selling the pass, please see here.

Did it work for you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 22:02:05 #862902

Make sure your info, birth date, passport# etc, is correct before sending. ( print out your info sent, first)SBB had my wife’s first # of passport wrong! They said it won’t matter & it will be ok? I printed their e-mail & response..hope it works.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 12:26:00 #862903

Hi Peterzier,

Usually an incorrect passport number on your rail pass would be an issue.

But if you have an email reply from SBB saying it is ok then it really should be – very good idea to bring a printed copy of the email with you!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 15:04:43 #862904

Hi Lucas. I informed them as soon as the ticket was printed, but they said they can’t change it at this point, but the 1 diget will not be a problem and will not affect my travel! Even though I have the printed out passport # I sent to them? oh well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 3:32:07 #862905

Good morning,

Do I have to keep my original passport all the time to verify the use of STP, or a copy can do?

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 May 2017 at 12:30:32 #862906

Hi peterzier,

In that case I don’t expect this to be a problem!

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 May 2017 at 12:31:49 #862907

Hi Amr,

Yes, you need to carry along your original passport. A copy is not sufficient. Please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/howtouse.

• The thread ‘Help buying Swiss Travel Pass and print at home’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.