Help – December travel with 3.5 y/o & 6 mths old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2016 at 7:31:19 #810188

Hi,

We are a family of 3 adults and 2 children (3.5 years old and 6 months old). We plan to visit Switzerland area this December and spend about 5-7 days to see some Christmas Market, Swiss Alps, lake and scenic train ride. We are wanting to take maybe part of the Bernini express and experience the scenery. We will be flying in and flying out of the area (from within Europe) so we do not need to end up in the same city. We came from relatively warm climate so we are not very used to the cold but am excited to experience it this winter.

As we are travelling with 2 young ones and I am still nursing the baby, comfort and easy of travel is a little bit more important to us. My 3 years old is well travelled but I don’t think he would like to sit through 8 hours of train ride, 3-4 hours should be no problem but we do not want to be taking trains every single day. If my son is not happy we all suffer!

Could you please give me some recommendation on itinerary, cities to visit and family friendly activities? We could potentially stretch our time in Switzerland longer if you think 5-7 days is way too short to see what we want to see. Anything else I need to watch out for travelling with a baby in Swiss?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Evelyn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2016 at 0:24:02 #856398

First question, is it not better to travel in the summer, with better temparatures and much longer days for you ? For snow and clear days it is beter to travel in Februari, I think.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 October 2016 at 12:35:14 #856399

Hi Evelyn, welcome to MySwissAlps!

With a baby, you should generally not visit any places higher than 2500 m. The Bernina Express is in the south-east of Switzerland. Perfectly doable if you stay in or near St. Moritz, but not as a day trip from other areas. I’d recommend to have a look at the “Where to go” section in the main menu. Also this thread might be interesting.

• The thread ‘Help – December travel with 3.5 y/o & 6 mths old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.