Help deciding Lucerne or Interlaken on April 17-20

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 21:19:18 #811001

Hi everyone!

I’m in a situation where I’m having a hard time deciding between the two locations: Lucerne and Interlaken. My girlfriend and I, in our late 20s, are looking between these two base locations for a 3 day stay. We’ll be arriving to ZRH in the morning of Monday, Apr 17, and then returning to ZRH to fly to Paris at 8AM on Thursday, Apr 20.

I was wondering which of these locations you guys would suggest for our 3 day stay?

Originally, I wanted to go to Interlaken to explore the valley, as well as head up the Schiltorn peaks, and to enjoy the outdoors and minor activities. However, I’m unsure of how harsh the weather will be in mid-April for these outdoor activities such as paragliding and exploring Piz Gloria. And, is 3 days enough (or too much?) to explore the valley?

Lucerne is the other alternative option, which gives us some other opportunities.

Our goal is to just feel connected to the scenery and the activities that will allow for us to absorb that. We were a big fan of our experience being near Mt. Fuji in Japan (Hakone), and I imagine the alps would be just as breathtaking, if not better!

Also, food is not a big deal for us, but we’re open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance! Hopefully i can refine the question as the discussion unfolds!

-Hanam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 8:20:58 #859750

Hi Hanam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Oh that is a tough question! If it were me I would choose based on the nearby activities available for Luzern (local German spelling) or Interlaken and what interests me the most.

You could honestly luck out (or not luck out) with weather at any of the mountain destinations. You won’t know for sure about the weather until a day or so before.

It would be best to contact some paragliding companies to ask them if April is a good or bad or average month to try it out. Certainly the weather can get a bit harsher the higher up you go – like Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.

I hope that helps a little! Let me know if you have further questions.

Lucas

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 March 2017 at 16:06:41 #859751

I would pick Luzern. April is not a great time to visit the Jungfrau region. Lots of mud and brown grass from melting snow. Most of the higher elevation transports are closed.

Near Luzern you have Mt. Rigi and Pilatus. The peaks aren’t as high as Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch but the landscape will be more attractive!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 18:19:48 #859752

@Lucas and @kim11, thank you for your suggestions!

I’ll look to stay in Luzern for my base then. How feasible is it to visit to the Jungfrau region if it turns out to be nice one day?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 March 2017 at 18:22:38 #859753

It’s a little over six hours round trip. A long way

• The thread ‘Help deciding Lucerne or Interlaken on April 17-20’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.