Help for a family of 5

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2011 at 15:18:15 #804146

Hello- My wife and I will be visiting Switzerland with our three boys (ages 18,15, and 10) this June and I am thoroughly confused on what passes, cards, etc I should purchase if any. We are renting a car in Zurich and will travel to Lucerne and then onto Interlaken. In both places I hope, weather permitting, to travel up to Pilatus and the Jungfrau Mountains. We will then depart from Interlaken via train to Venice. Unfortunately we are only in Switzerland for 4 days. Should I purchase a pass in order to get discounts on the mountain railroads, boats, gondolas, etc or simply pay for the tickets individually? Will a Swiss Family Card help reduce the costs of those tickets for two of my kids and do I have to buy a pass to get the Family Card? Will the Family Card and/or Pass help me at all with the price of the tickets from Interlaken to Venice? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 March 2011 at 10:27:36 #832259

Hi fdr214,

Especially the Jungfrau railway is relatively expensive, so discounts add up pretty quickly and even out the costs of the pass (a return ticket Interlaken – Jungfrau currently costs CHF 186.20 per person). A Swiss Half Fare Card would be the pass for you. You need 3 of them: for the adults and the 18 year old. The other boys can travel along for free with a free Swiss Family Card. Please note that the Swiss Family Card cannot be used separately. It needs to be combined with one of the passes of the Swiss Travel System, such as the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please check our FAQ for more information about how to calculate which pass would be most economical.

The map we link to from the Swiss Half Fare Card page shows what discounts you’ll get. The Swiss leg of the trip to Venice will be 50% discounted as well.

Enjoy your stay! Lets hope for good weather during those days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2011 at 10:33:34 #832260

Thanks so much Arno for the the response. I will look into that option and price it out. Have a nice day.

• The thread ‘Help for a family of 5’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.