Help in 3-day itinerary Jungfrau – Montreux – Bern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2015 at 21:17:50 #808083

Hi,

Will be traveling to Switzerland from 5th Nov to 9th Nov. Wants to cover Bern, Interlaken Montreux and Lucerne during the 3 day trip. Here is tentative itinerary looks like –

Arriving Geneva on 5th Nov. around 3 PM and then leave for Bern.

1) Mount jungfrau trip and then explore interlaken.

2) Gloden pass scenic train ride from Interlaken to Montreux and then if possible boat trip of lake Geneva from Montreux

3) Explore the city of Bern and then leave for Geneva in late afternoon.

And wants to know whether 3 days swiss travel pass is good or should i go for 4 day pass for this itinerary. Also need suggestion daily itinerary if i can add few more scenic spots or boat rides if possible. Pls. suggest .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2015 at 0:57:52 #846811

Looks like very busy trip.

I have not yet studied the timetable, to clarify times.,

but it would be a good idea if you have not done so.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 November 2015 at 13:13:36 #846812

Hi mg91,

That’s a full schedule. It will be doable, but it’s important to check traveling times as suggested and decide whether you’re fine with them.

Do you intend to make day trips from Bern? I don’t think that’s the best option. If I were you, I’d first travel from Geneva to Interlaken by Golden Pass (as previously suggested by Arno). You could then do the Jungfraujoch trip the next day; alternatively, if weather is bad, visit Bern and/or Thun. You could then head back to Montreux/Geneva and spend the last day(s) there.

If you move on to Interlaken or Bern right after arrival in Geneva, a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass will be the most convenient option, assuming you won’t be doing much traveling on November 9. If you only start traveling on November 6, the 3 day variant would be fine. You can only tell for sure which pass is most economical if you calculate all details of your schedule. How to do so, can be found at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2015 at 22:05:20 #846813

Thanks for your response. I have already booked the hotel in Bern for 3 days so won’t be able to make much change but since i’m traveling with 3 year old kid wants to make it bit for comfortable and convenient for her so I’m considering Mount Pilatus as another option, pls. let me know whether Mount Pilatus is good option to go for, from Mount jungfrau in terms of convenience and winter weather.

Also, for golden pass line on Day 3, wants to take the train from interlaken to montreux and back same day to Bern but want to check whether using swiss travel pass the journey’s both ways would be free or not. On Day1, there won’t be much traveling so will go with 3 day travel pass.

Really appreciate your support.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 November 2015 at 0:41:44 #846814

<<“since i’m traveling with 3 year old kid wants to make it bit for comfortable and convenient for her .>>

From my perspective, your travel plans will be excessive long on train time, and uncomfortable for 3 year old child.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 November 2015 at 5:58:50 #846815

Mount Pilatus is certainly feasible for kids. I would recommend to avoid November 5 and 6 if you can, as the cable car is closed. So you can’t do the round trip, but just up and down with the cogwheel train.

myswissalps.com/ pilatus

If you’ll be based in Bern, there’s no need to travel to Interlaken to enjoy the Golden Pass line. Travel to Spiez and change to the Golden Pass line there, that will save time. All of it is free with a Swiss Travel Pass. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass link Annika gave you, and click “Where it’s valid”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2015 at 9:44:06 #846816

Thanks Arno.Based on your feedback, will plan the trip to Mount Pilatus on 7th Nov. For Golden pass line, will take the train from speiz to montreux and if time permits, will do boat trip around lake geneva. Thanks for your advise. Looking forward to this trip!

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 November 2015 at 9:34:43 #846817

Have a wonderful time! If you can post a short trip report afterwards that would be great.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2015 at 12:39:03 #846818

Thanks SwissAlps team, All your wonderful suggestions and advise were really helpful in executing the itinerary planned, It was one of my very few planned trip and well executed just because information provided here is quite exhaustive and meaningful.

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 November 2015 at 15:45:56 #846819

Hi mg91! Thanks for getting back to us. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Switzerland that much. What day trips did you make from Bern? And did you manage to visit the Pilatus in good weather?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2015 at 21:14:13 #846820

It was a very good weather during all 4 days and we could do a day trip to multiple places –

Day 1 – Reached Geneva in later afternoon on 5th Nov and took 4 days swiss travel pass and headed towards bern. by the time we reached bern, it was evening so just roam around the near by streets to our hotel metropole.

Day 2 – Did a boat trip from Thun to interlaken which lasted approx 2 hours and then mostly went around shopping in interlaken.

Day 3 – Mount Rigi.- Took a train to Lucerne and then boat to Viznau, cogwheel train from viznau to top of the mountain. Wonder full experience and weather was quite sunny and pleasant.

Day 4 – In the morning, explored more of city of bern – Old town, clock tower to name the few. Then took a train from Bern to Geneva to catch our flight next day in the early morning.

But considering the natural beauty this country has, will surely would want to come back to Switzerland soon.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 November 2015 at 11:23:17 #846821

Thanks for the details about your trip. Hope to speak to you when you prepare for your next trip!

• The thread ‘Help in 3-day itinerary Jungfrau – Montreux – Bern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.