Help! Lucerne/Interlaken/Zermatt 3 days in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2015 at 16:47:17 #808007

Hello!

I am planning to visit Lucerne first, then Interlaken, and finally Zermatt (Matterhorn Mountain for skiing. Need suggestion to plan the journey accordingly (.Can you please suggest the best way we can cover in 3 days ?)

Here is my plan:

on26th: I will take the train from Venice to Lucerne, and I will arrive Lucerne at 2pm 26th October.I only find this train time (Is there any train that arrives Lucerne in the morning??)

At Lucerne, (Should I visit Lucerne and spend the night at Lucerne or should I leave Lucerne after sightseeing and go to Interlaken and spend the night at Interlaken?)

On 27th, I plan to visit Interlaken. In the afternoon, I will take the train to Zermatt and spend the night at Zermatt.

On 28th: I plan to go to Matterhorn Mountain for skiing ( Can I skiing at this time of the year?)

and take the night train back to Paris in the morning of 29th.( Is there any night train to Paris?)

and I bought the Swiss Travel Pass(3days),(Is the scenic routes applied for my above train trips?) and Swiss Travel Pass cover all my train trips?)

Looking forward to you reply,

Thanks you very much

Yen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 October 2015 at 13:42:22 #846400

Hello Yen, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your plans are quite ambitious for 3 days, but they’re doable. Let’s look into some details. You can best check all available train options using the Swiss timetable. There are no night trains, but you can complete both international train trips (late) at night, picking the latest possible travel option. Alternatively, you can pick the earliest one. That will allow you to arrive in Lucerne around 11 am, which is a lot earlier than 2 pm.

It doesn’t really matter whether you spend your first night in Lucerne or Interlaken. You will have less time in one of these towns depending on where you spend the night, and it’s up to you to decide which town/region appeals to you most. Please note that Interlaken itself isn’t very special, but its surroundings definitely are. Our pages on the Lucerne and Interlaken regions may help you choose.

You can’t actually ski on the Matterhorn, but you may be referring to Klein Matterhorn.

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover all of your regular train journeys within Switzerland. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity for details. You’ll need additional tickets for the Italian and French legs of your journeys. These pages may help you out: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy, http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2015 at 16:39:07 #846401

Thank you very much for your reply.

Based on your advice, I will change my plan as following, please help me check it:

26th: Arrive Lucerne, visit Chapel Bridge,Water Tower ecc.t (city tour),spend night at Lucerne,and ( is there any boat trip applied for the Swiss Travel Pass?)

27th: as you said, Interlaken is not interesint, so (could you please suggest somewhere more interesting that I should visit. Or should I go to Zermatt on this day?)

28th: Will visit Klein Matterhorn for skii as you said, (should i spend night at zermatt or night at Brig?)

29th: I plan to take early train from Zermatt to Geneve airport and take the flight (easyjet) back to Paris. (Does the Swiss travel pass cover the train from Zermatt to Geneve?)

Is there any panorama senic express for the trip between cities mentioned above my trip?

Yen

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 October 2015 at 12:17:00 #846402

Hi Yen,

Spending the night in Zermatt makes sense I guess, so that you don’t have to travel after your ski trip. But if you rather travel to Brig you can of course do so. I assume you can already ski.

You can find scenic trains here. You can do part of the Golden Pass line from Lucerne to Interlaken. Note that Annika recommend to focus on the area around Interlaken instead of the town itself. You’ll find suggestions if you follow her links. Please also take a look at the Swiss Travel Pass link she gave you. All details are explained there.

I do not recommend a flight from Geneva to Paris. The high speed train from Geneva is more convenient and quicker. You can book a ticket through one of the retailers listed here.

• The thread ‘Help! Lucerne/Interlaken/Zermatt 3 days in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.