Help me plan 5 day itinerary end of January

• Sandy123
    Participant
    10 posts
    14 January 2016 at 18:02:34 #808272

I am going to Switzerland for 5 days towards the end of January. This is going to be my first and probably the only visit to Switzerland.

I plan to stay in Basel during my entire schedule (not fixed yet). I am getting a cheap accommodation for a family (50 Euro per day) at Basel.

I am going more for a sceneric view and a little bit of fun on snow with my spouse and a 4 year old son.

I plan to day trips to Mount Pilatus on one day and Mount Rigi on the second day. (Day 01 and Day 02). A trip to Bern on Day 3. A trip to Rhine falls on Day 4.During my first 4 days, I plan to buy a Swiss Travel Pass.Last day in Basel before going back on Day 5.

Q1. Should I stay at Basel or Zurich? Basel appeared to be more central to me.

Q2. Should I include Mount Pilatus or Mount Titlis? Which one is cheaper in terms of reaching from Lucerne? Which one offers better sceneric view?

Q3. Do I need to squeeze Interlaken or train express or Zurich ? Should I leave somethings out and squeeze any of the other places.

Q4. Do I need to book train tickets in advance?

Thanks

Sandy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 January 2016 at 22:51:18 #847680

HI Sandy-

<<“Q4. Do I need to book train tickets in advance?”>>

No.

Skip the Rheinfalls – just my opinion.

You do know that you are going back and forth between Luzern and Basel on two consecutive days?

<<“Q1. Should I stay at Basel or Zurich? Basel appeared to be more central to me.”>>

Not even a little bit. Basel is on the extreme northwest corner. This map may help.

map.search.ch/?x=-13672m&y=52240m&z=1

Stay at Luzern for “central.”

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    15 January 2016 at 10:24:35 #847681

Q1. I second Lucerne: myswissalps.com/lucern e. Much better than Basel and Zurich for a one time short visit to Switzerland. You can easily spend 4 days there.

Q2. Pilatus is closer and cheaper. You may like Titlis better because of the nice trip to Engelberg and you’re really in the Central Alps there, rather than looking at them from a distance. The links help you choose.

Q3. Interlaken is not worth your time, but the train ride to Interlaken is wonderful: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass. Then proceed to Thun, Bern and take the local train to Lucerne via Schüpfheim. You could even go all the way to Montreux if you don’t mind a long day.

Q4. No, but in order to not spend too much you’d better make a list of trips and buy the rail pass that fits those plans best. It’s explained here. With a Swiss Travel Pass you would not need tickets at all, apart from discounted cable car tickets. In that case you may want to consider Mount Rigi as it’s free with that pass. With a Swiss Half Fare Card you get 50% off everything.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 January 2016 at 16:45:50 #847682

Adding to what Arno said about Luzern…the tourist info office by track 1 in the Luzern main station is very helpful.

They might have some suggestions for your 4 year old, as well as for you.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Help me plan 5 day itinerary end of January’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.