Help me plan self itinerary- 7 days stay at Lucern

• subgopal13
    Participant
    4 posts
    30 May 2015 at 9:50:22 #807321
    • My wife and I have booked to stay at one place Lucerne for 7 days during August first week. We love to enjoy several train rides starting in the morning and Returning to Lucerne every evening
    • we love to travel by Glacier express, Bernina express and similar train journeys
    • can someone suggest us good itinerary
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2015 at 21:37:37 #843540

Luzern is a great base for travel, and has lots of attractions close by, as well.

The moderators will surely have better suggestions than I can make, but, whatever is suggested, it will be useful to look at a train timetable and a map.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=19 0000.00&Y=660000.00&zo om=1&lang=en&topic=swi sstopo&bgLayer=ch.swis stopo.pixelkarte-farbe

and a map I like to use –

map.classic.search.ch/

On that one, if you click on traffic on the left ( of teh classic version) then mouse over a symbol for a rail or bus stop ( at large magnification) the schedules for that stop appear.

Around Luzern –

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

(Forgive my spelling- Luzern is in the German language region, and, in German, it is Luzern. Sounds the same, looks different). 😉

subgopal13
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 May 2015 at 2:28:26 #843541

Highly appreciated.

I will ask more questions , if any, after going thru the links you have provided.

thank you

subgopal13
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 May 2015 at 3:54:28 #843542

In our previous visit to Switzerland we have stayed at Interlaken and already done excursions to jungfraujoch and Shilton . This time during first week of August 2015 we have booked apartment to camp all 7 days at Lucerne . We will have a 8 day swiss rail pass too. We would like to meander and explore country side , take famous train journeys etc. but return to the base Lucerne every evening . Our age is 60+ . I have explored various links but would appreciate expert advice to make our vacation relaxed and enjoyable.

Gopals

Arno
    15478 posts
    31 May 2015 at 8:10:44 #843543

Hi Gopals,

If you click the last link Slowpoke gave you, you’ll find a lot of day trip suggestions (click ‘What to do’). The Glacier Express and Bernina Express are too far away to do as a day trip from Lucerne (please see the timetable for details), but there are plenty of alternatives, like the Golden Pass route, Wilhelm Tell Express r oute, Mount Rigi, etc.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2015 at 11:10:03 #843544

A great train ride and a pleasant destination.

Luzern to Locarno.

2 hrs 38 minutes by train through the Gotthard Pass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Gotthard_railway

jerrygarrett.wordpress .com/2013/03/15/switzerlands-eight-greatest-train-rides/

A bit longer than many day trips, but the train ride is spectacular.

subgopal13
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 May 2015 at 12:06:01 #843545

Thank you guys. Very useful.

I think I will do Golden pass ( one way and return by normal train ) , Wilhem tell and Rigi. All these will allow me to return to the base Luzern on the same evening.

I may have to miss Glacier Express , Bernina unless I decide to stay overnight at Zermatt and return to Luzern next day. It means booking additionally one more night of hotel at Zermatt.

Please advise on my plans.

thank you once again.

Arno
    15478 posts
    31 May 2015 at 14:24:50 #843546

If you can add an extra night you could do it like this: take an early train from Lucerne to Brig. Take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz. Stay there for the night (hotels are here). The next morning, take an early train to Tirano, then back to Lucerne or wherever you’d like to go. It’s still a lot of hours on trains, but doable. All you miss out on now is the leg from Zermatt to Brig, but the rest of the Glacier Express and Bernina Express route is included.

Further details are here:

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, all of this is included, except for the seat reservations.

• The thread ‘Help me plan self itinerary- 7 days stay at Lucern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.