Help. Need advice fast. What tickets do I buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2013 at 15:11:01 #806088

I am landing at Zurich airport 9:30 Am 7/10 and want to goto Luzern. I have a hotel in Luzern for the night. The following AM(7/11) plan to go to Mt Titlis and then head back in afternoon to Luzern to check out. That evening head back to zurich airport for flight in AM(7/12). We have 2 adults and 2 kids (age 10,14) in family. How do I arrange this? Should I buy one way tickets all at zurich airport for the entire trip or just at each of the train stations during the trip? Should I buy tickets to go up mt titlis at train station or wait till arriving in engelburg? Is a travel pass better? Thanks in advance.

Dave

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2013 at 14:51:01 #839002

Hello Dave, welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you purchase two Swiss Half Fare Cards, the tickets for the adults will be reduced by 50%, and the children will travel along for free with the Swiss Family Card. Another option is to buy tickets for the regular price and get Junior travelcards for the kids. Here is some help on how to decide. Titlis tickets can be purchased at the valley station of the cable car in Engelberg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2013 at 16:29:48 #839003

Thanks. Is there more of a discount with one card over the other for going up mount titlis. On the mt titlis web site it states “50% reduction for Children (6 – 15 years), with the Swiss railway junior card, children up to 15 are free of charge accompanied by their parents”. I don’t understand — are the children free or 50% off? The adult price is engelberg to titlis roudtrip 86? or is it 50% off with one of the cards? So if I buy the Swiss Half Fare Cards CHF 240 for 2 adults do we pay 50% to go up Mt titlis and kids free? vs Buy junior travelcards CHF (60) and adults pay 86 each for mt titlis with kid free?

THx

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 July 2013 at 2:01:01 #839004

Hi Dave,

These prices apply to the Titlis trip:

• With the Swiss Half Fare Cards and Swiss Family Card, the adults pay half the regular fare (CHF 86) and the children are free;
    • With the Junior travelcards, the adults pay the full fare and the children are free;
    • Without any card, the adults pay the full fare and the children half the fare;
  • The thread ‘Help. Need advice fast. What tickets do I buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.