Help needed! 5days trip for 3pax!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2012 at 8:38:29 #804965

Hi,
    I understand that there is a 2 for 1 4days saver pass. However, we are traveling in 3s. How can I travel the cheapest way? Should I buy one 2 for 1 4days pass and one Swiss half fare card? Or should I buy two 1 for 4days pass?

I will be traveling in Switzerland from 26th May to 30th May which is 5days. I do not know what is the best saving ways. Should I start my pass on 26th or 27th?

My itinerary is as follow:
    1) 26th: From Geneva Airport – Zermatt
    2) 27th: Zermatt – Gornegrat- Zermatt (Is this route 50%? What are the charges like?)
    3) 28th: Zermatt – Interlaken – Grindelwald – Jungfraujoch (i understand that going to Jungfraujoch will only have 25% discount but what is the fastest route from Interlaken? Is it via Grindelwald?)
    4) 29th: Interlaken – Brienz – Interlaken
    5) 30th: Interlaken – Geneva Airport (Morning)

As I only can use my pass for 4 days, how much will it cost me for traveling on 26th or 30th? As I have a flight in the afternoon 4pm, is it advisable for me to stay in Geneva instead?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 February 2012 at 16:08:02 #835023

Hi xunyicao,

There is indeed a 2-for-1 4-day Swiss Saver Pass, but also a 2-for-1 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. The latter would be best in your case, as it covers your whole itinerary. You would use the free travel days on the 26th, 28th, 29th and 30th (and 50% discount on the 27th, please check the fares on the Gornergrat site). Another (cheaper) option is to travel from Interlaken to Geneva in the evening op the 29th, so you’d only need 4 days of traveling which is covered by the cheaper Swiss Saver Pass. There’s free traveling in Geneva if you book an hotel there. Time-wise, there’s plenty of time to travel to Geneva on the 30th.

The 2-for-1 pass can be purchased for 3 people if you order through http://www.swisstravelsystem. com. You pay for only 2 people in that case. Other resellers may require you to buy one 2-for-1 pass (for 2 people) and a regular pass for the 3th person. That’s a bit more expensive as the 3th person pays the regular pass price, rather than the “saver pass price”. More details on the offer and links to other resellers can be found here.

Be sure to check out the hotel overview as well, as it includes the towns you’ve planned to visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2012 at 8:07:04 #835024

Hi,
    I have checked online and saw that there are many train routes to Interlaken. Can I know what is the fastest way to reach Interlaken?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    29 February 2012 at 9:37:25 #835025

Hi xunyicao,

I guess you mean the connection between Zermatt and Interlaken? If you use the Timetable you will find the fastest route (about 2:15 hours). You wil have to change trains in Visp and Spiez.
    Indeed, there is another route via Brig, the “old Lötschbergtunnel” and Kandersteg, but that will take longer. (It’s a very beautiful route though!)

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2012 at 2:26:11 #835026

Hi Wandermann,

How do I know where & when I need to change trains during my journey?

I checked with the timetable link you gave me and when I clicked on one of the routes, they gave me Brig/Visp-Lotschber-Spiez which cost CHF38 and another route Brig/Visp-Lotschberg-Spiez-Interlaken West-bus Pag which cost CHF39.

Can I know what is the difference between 2 routes?

Annika
    7121 posts
    1 March 2012 at 12:13:57 #835027

Hi xunyicao. The only difference is that the more expensive route includes a short leg by bus, which is less convenient. So just pick the most direct and cheap option.

If you enter your trip, the timetable will come up with several possible connections. Just click the ‘plus’ symbol at the left of each connection for details, including changes of trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2012 at 11:48:45 #835028

Hi,
    I am reaching 26 this july, can i buy the youth pass since i am traveling during may?

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 March 2012 at 18:18:56 #835029

Sure you can, the Swiss Youth Pass is for anyone up to and including 25 years old during their travels. Have fun!

• The thread ‘Help needed! 5days trip for 3pax!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.