Help Needed for Best Swiss Pass or Card to Purchas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2011 at 23:03:20 #804593

My wife and I, along with another couple, will be visiting the Lauterbrunnen Valley this fall for 7 days. We will begin and complete our trip at the Zurich Airport. Since we plan to remain in the Lauterbrunnen Valley the entire week, is it better to purchase the Regional Bernese Oberland Pass, then pay for transportation to and from Zurich Airport separately or is it better to purchase the Swiss Saver Pass…or is there yet a better option? Thanks for any help you are able to offer.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 August 2011 at 8:34:00 #833826

Hi tbsnc! I’d say the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is a great choice for your plans, since you intend to focus on the Lauterbrunnen area. If you’ll be traveling in September or October, you may even profit from the current 2 for 1 offer. Part of the route from and to Zurich Airport is covered by the Regional-Pass too. Just click the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is valid’ at the Regional-Pass page for specifics.
    Does this help you decide? Regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2011 at 19:44:17 #833827

Since my wife and I will be in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 1 week, the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland was recommended which also covers part of our trip to and from the Zurich Airport; however, is there some way that I can determine what the cost of that trip to and from the airport will cost? Any assistance is appreciated.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 August 2011 at 5:26:48 #833828

Hi Ted! The Swiss timetable allows you to find out about traveling costs. This FAQ explains how to do so. I hope this is what you’re looking for.

In your case, the exact price depends on the route you pick from Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen and on whether you intend to use a free travel day for your inbound trip or not. If I were you, I’d travel via Lucerne and Meiringen, as this is a great scenic route. It takes a bit longer than the most direct route via Bern, but in my opinion it’s worth the extra time. Just enter ‘Meiringen’ as your via-station in the timetable for an overview of these train connections. As the map I referred to shows, your Regional-Pass will be valid from Lucerne with a 50% discount. From Brünig-Hasliberg, either a 50% discount up to Lauterbrunnen applies, or free traveling if you use a free travel day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2011 at 9:21:57 #833829

Thanks again, Annika!

• The thread ‘Help Needed for Best Swiss Pass or Card to Purchas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.