Help on best choice of passes for family of 6

Help on best choice of passes for family of 6

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
achordabove
achordabove
2 posts
Jul 12, 2014 - 2:04 AM

Family of 4 adults and 2 children (ages 4 & 7) will travel from Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen and will stay in this area for 4 nights. We will then travel to Bremen Germany and will be there 5 nights for the remainder of the trip. I need suggestions on which pass would be the best value. The following is a tentative itinerary for the stay in Lauterbrunnen: Day 1-- we arrive in Zurrich at 0830 and will travel to Lauterbrunnen. For the afternoon, we want to travel to Mannlichen and then hike to Kleine Scheidegg, then back to Lauterbrunnen. Day 2--Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and visit Trummelbach Falls, then back to Lauterbrunnen. Day 3 Visit Murren, Schilthorn, and Gimmewald .Day 4 Visit Wengen, Grindelwald, and First. Day 5 We will leave to go to Bremen Germany. We will probably purchase individual tickets from the Swiss border to Bremen. Which would be the best value- a half-fare card, flexi-pass, or swiss card?

Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Jul 12, 2014 - 9:16 AM

Hi achordabove,

A Swiss Card is slightly more expensive than a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can also look into the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, but I think the Swiss Half Fare Card will work out best for you (you need 4 of them for the adults; the children travel for free). See this guide if you want to do the detailed math, and the pass links for all pass details such as prices, how they work, where they're valid and more.

A Swiss Half Fare Card get you 50% discounted tickets everywhere, including the leg from Lauterbrunnen to Basel Bad Bf (the Swiss border). From there you need single tickets to Bremen.

Last modified on Jul 12, 2014 - 9:17 AM by Annika
achordabove
achordabove
2 posts
Jul 14, 2014 - 12:05 AM in reply to Annika

Hi Annika, Thank you so much for your response. I have been busy crunching the numbers and confusing myself too. I am not sure that I have all the fares correct, but my calculations come out $40 dollars more for the 3 day Flexi- pass. However, with the $75 dollar off promotion right now, it may come out a few dollars cheaper. If so, would you suggest purchasing the flexi-pass instead? For the 3 day pass, I plan to activate upon arrival to travel to Lauterbrunnen, one of the days for excursions, and the last day for the trip to the border. Does it act as a half-fare card on the days that I don't use between arrival and departure? Thanks again for your help.

Arno
Arno
7295 posts
expert &
Jul 14, 2014 - 5:46 AM

Hi achordabove,

If the Swiss Flexi Pass with the $75 discount works out cheaper then that's perfectly fine. Promo codes and details are here. Indeed you can purchase discounted tickets on non-free travel days between the first and last free travel day. Details are on the Swiss Flexi Pass page.

Enjoy your stay!

Kind regards,

Arno

Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 12:59 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016