Help on best transportation option

Help on best transportation option

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
jfchenuc
jfchenuc
4 posts
May 5, 2013 - 1:27 AM
Hi, there,

I am new here and also new to Switzerland.
I'll have a trip to Switzerland for a week. My itinerary is the following:

20 May fly in at Zurich Airport, take train to Lausanne
21 May take train from Lausanne to Basel, via Orbe (Yverdon-les-Bains) for a few hours
21-24 May stay in Basel
25 May take train from Basel to Zurich Airport

May I ask your help for the best transportation option?
I am quite confused by the Swiss half fare card/Swiss pass and other passes. If I buy those train ticket individually, what's the overall cost? Will this cost be higher than any of those card/pass? What's the most convenient way to buy the tickets/pass/card? at the station or online or mobile app?
Any input/comment will be much appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Jeff
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 5, 2013 - 4:11 AM
Hi Jeff, welcome to MySwissAlps,

If that's all the traveling you've planned you're better off buying regular tickets. It would be about CHF 175 in total. You can buy the tickets locally at the station or online so that you can board the trains straight away. If you plan to make day trips from these towns (use mountain transport, boat trips, city transport, etc), then a pass would be more convenient and save money. Here's how to calculate.
jfchenuc
jfchenuc
4 posts
May 5, 2013 - 4:53 AM
Hi, Arno,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Now I have another question, since there'll be 3-4 people travelling together with me, do you think if a car rental for a week will be more convenient and economical?
I have a US driver's license, how about the insurance in the rental? Roughly, what's the overall cost for a car rental?
Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Jeff
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 5, 2013 - 6:33 AM
Hi Jeff,

I personally favor the Swiss rail system over car traveling. It's clean, safe, well organized and especially comfortable if you're traveling from town to town (no parking issues/costs). Sorry, I don't know much about the costs of renting a car, but you can check the car rental links at the links page.
jfchenuc
jfchenuc
4 posts
May 5, 2013 - 8:28 AM
Thank you very much for your comments.
I think I will go for the rail.
Thank you again.

Best regards,
Jeff
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 5, 2013 - 10:22 AM
You're welcome Jeff. You may know this already, but the towns you plan to visit all have several hotels at walking distance from the rail station. You can find them here.

Enjoy your stay!
grpallen
grpallen
6 posts
May 6, 2013 - 4:10 PM
I have a questio. We will be in Switzerland at the end of May and beginning of June. We are travelling by car and on one leg of our trip we are planning to go from Zermatt to Lugano. Assuming we have parked in Brig or Visp, is it better to drive to Lugano going through Italy ot staying in Switzerland? Thank you.
grpallen
jfchenuc
jfchenuc
4 posts
May 6, 2013 - 8:22 PM
I'll check the hotels and find the most convenient one.
Thank you very much for your kind help.

Arno said: You're welcome Jeff. You may know this already, but the towns you plan to visit all have several hotels at walking distance from the rail station. You can find them here.
Enjoy your stay!
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 7, 2013 - 2:59 AM
Hello grpallen,

It's a bit quicker via Airolo, Switzerland, although there is not much of a difference. Be sure to check the road conditions. Some passes will be closed until the end of May. Whether or not they'll be open by that time depends on the weather. The Nufenen Pass for example, on the way to Airolo, is currently still closed for Winter. Can you please open a new topic if you have further questions? Please see our forum rules. Thanks!

grpallen said: I have a questio. We will be in Switzerland at the end of May and beginning of June. We are travelling by car and on one leg of our trip we are planning to go from Zermatt to Lugano. Assuming we have parked in Brig or Visp, is it better to drive to Lugano going through Italy ot staying in Switzerland? Thank you.
grpallen

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016