Help on selection of right Swiss travel Pass/Ticke

Help on selection of right Swiss travel Pass/Ticke

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
1 post
Sep 9, 2012 - 3:04 AM
We are 5 members traveling myself, mywife, My two years old child and My father-in-law and Mother-in-law to Switzerland between 21 Sep to 26 Sep.

Our travelm plan
21 Sep : Basel euro airport to Meggen (But would like explore Basel city (Got 3 hours time)ney to Meggen) as I booked an appartment in Meggen for all 5nights
22 Sep Meggen to Interlaken and Back
23 Sep Meggen to Lucern Mt title and back
24 Sep Meggen to Lake lucern/lucern city and back
25 Sep Meggen to Yet to decide options (Zurich/Geneva/ please suggest....) but back to Meggen
26 Sep Meggen to Basel Euroairpot to catch Flight (No time to spend in Basel)

Below are my questions
I am thinking to buy 2nos. 4 Days 2 in 1 Saver pass between 22 Sep to 24 Sep (As we will traveling a lot) as we are 2 Couples and it is free for Baby. Then I need to buy Swiss travel ticket to travel from Basel euroairport to Meggen (Traveling on 21 Sep and return (Returning on 26 Sep). BUT MIGHT BE better option for my travel. Please suggest me right Economical option (2 Class train is sufficient)

Main Question: What is the right and economical travel options to me when and what dates to buy Swiss 2 in 1 saver pass? and ticket?Pass? etc..

Additional questions
Can I buy Swiss 2in 1 pass through internet? Is option avilable to buy in Basel? How to activate once I start using it.

If suggestion is to buy Ticket to travel to Appartment in Meggen (Onward 21 Sep and Return 22 Sep). I was searching in net I can buy, but system is asking to select time, I would like have felixble time ticket. Is it possible?

Any suggestions for 25 Sep travel places

Thanks in advance for the needful.

4380 posts
expert &
Sep 10, 2012 - 1:27 PM
Hello Manjhs. The 2 for 1 4 day Swiss Saver Pass seems to be the best option indeed. Prices and purchase options can be found at the Swiss Pass page. Just enter your country of residence in the upper right corner, the number of travelers and select the right pass type for all details. Activation methods are explained under the 'Quick transfer' option. As far as I know, the 2 for 1 deal has to be bought online. You'd need additional regular tickets between Basel Euroairport and Meggen. These cost about CHF 50.00 per person and they can be purchased at the railway stations of Basel/Meggen before boarding the train.

An alternative is the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, which allow 4 free travel days including September 21 and 26 and two other days. Two remaining days would allow 50% discounted traveling. You could use these for the days in and near Lucerne which is rather close to Meggen. You can calculate which option is better.

I would stay close to Meggen (Zurich, Lucerne or the Interlaken region) on September 25 if I were you to prevent long journeys.
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:35 PM by Arno

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More on

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

© 2002-2016