Help remembering name of hotel in Zermatt

• Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    19 November 2022 at 16:44:45 #828650

Hi all…I mentioned in another post, my wife and I just booked our third trip to Zermatt. For the third year in a row, we’ll be staying at the Butterfly, which we love. Very cozy. Great people. Great value. We actually extended our trip by two nights just so we could stay here (they have a 7 night minimum in January).

All that being said, last year we discovered another hotel, not down in the village but up on the Gornergrat mountain a bit. We did’t see the rooms but it has a very nice outdoor patio restaurant/bar with an absolutely perfect view of the Matterhorn. It also has an elevator that takes you from inside the hotel down to the village (with a short tunnel down at the bottom).

For the life of us, we could not remember the name of the hotel. We even took a picture of the name, but can’t find it. Does anyone know which one I’m talking about?

Thank you!

Rob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    19 November 2022 at 18:06:51 #948415

Hi Rob,

I think the hotel you’re looking for is called Hotel Alpenroyal.

You can find more hotel options in Zermatt here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/hotels

Regards,

Anna

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    19 November 2022 at 20:16:58 #948416

Thank you for the reply and the link Anna. That looks like a great place to stay but isn’t the one I’m thinking off. I’ve added a couple pictures. One is from the outdoor restaurant. The other is the tunnel after the elevator ride to the village. The search continues… 🙂

MyTravels
    Participant
    25 posts
    19 November 2022 at 22:42:09 #948417

Hi Rob

Sounds like the Omnia Hotel, I stayed there in July this year, lovely hotel with great views down to the village and across to the Matterhorn.

Cheers

My Travels

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    20 November 2022 at 3:52:41 #948418

Like Fballguy responded, I believe it’s the Omnia. We stayed there this past summer as well. The Matterhorn could be viewed out of our window but it was nice looking through telescope provided in our room for viewing possible climbers. The picture I took was looking out our window in same direction as telecope facing *Zoomed of course.

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    20 November 2022 at 15:03:30 #948419

Thank you both for the replies. I love seeing the pictures. The Omnia looks like an amazing place as well, but alas it is not the hotel I’m thinking of. It appears too modern and isn’t as front facing to the Matterhorn as I remember. Who knew that many hotels in Zermatt had elevators down to the village! I thought that would be dead giveaway. 🙂

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    20 November 2022 at 15:16:20 #948420

Hi Bob

a similar hotel but just a little higher on the Gornergrat line is the Riffelalp hotel (at the Riffelalp stop). It has an even better view of the Matterhorn in my opinion. See attached photo taken from my room at sunrise. It is an excellent hotel with lots of upscale amenities but of course pricey

Mark

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    20 November 2022 at 15:33:24 #948421

Rob,

If you made a purchase previously while visiting the Patio Restaurant, perhaps you could go back and view your purchase online if you used a credit card. If cash, obviously not an option.

My hubby looked at you picture this morning and said. as you did, definitely not the Omnia Hotel.

Good luck!

Sfarns216
    Participant
    13 posts
    20 November 2022 at 16:38:51 #948422

Hi, Rob. I appreciate knowing you like the Butterfly Hotel, as I love butterflies, but we weren’t sure where to stay. We went to Zermatt this past August and I had no idea where to stay, so we chose the Hotel Bristol and had a wonderful room. Thank you. Anyway, suggestion to identify your mystery hotel: in the photo from the patio, there is a white building to the left with a name on it, but the photo is fuzzy and I couldn’t read it. Assuming your original photo is clear, you could search for that name like on Google Maps and then look at hotels in that area, as it looks fairly close in the photo. Good luck!

Sue

Anna
    6362 posts
    21 November 2022 at 12:21:40 #948423

Hi Rob,

Might the hotel be the Chalet Schönegg Hotel?

You can browse more pics here.

Regards,

Anna

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    21 November 2022 at 15:13:12 #948424

Bingo Anna! That’s it! I’m making a note for next year. Thank you!

• The thread ‘Help remembering name of hotel in Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.