Help to check itinerary for first day in Swiss

Help to check itinerary for first day in Swiss

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
cancer7782
cancer7782
5 posts
Jun 25, 2013 - 9:42 AM
Hi,

I plan to take an early train from Paris to Geneva (7th Oct) and have a short stay in Geneva for lunch (where for lunch?), buy Swiss half fare card (where to buy?) and do some visiting i.e. Jet' e dau (any recommended place to visit and how to go there from train station?)

About 2 - 3 pm, i plan to take the Golden Pass Scenic route to Interlaken (where to buy ticket, need to buy advance, need reservation?).

I have booked accomodation in Wengen, therefore will travel from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and then to Wengen for hotel check in.

Is this plan workable, in term of time allocation, the flow of journey etc? Do i have time to slot in any additional recommended place to visit along the way?

Thanks a lot.
Annika
Annika
4418 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2013 - 3:31 PM
Hi cancer7782. I think some questions have already been discussed in your previous topics, such as where to buy your Swiss Half Fare Card. As for this first day: I wouldn't try to incorporate further stops or visits along the way to Wengen if I were you. It's already a full day, as discussed here. Here are some options for a short city visit.

As for the Golden Pass route: if you prefer to travel in a panoramic train, seat reservations are required. If you use a Swiss Half Fare Card, you'll also need a 50% discounted ticket. This can be purchased at the railway station of Geneva before boarding the train. You can also choose to travel the same scenic route by regular regional trains. You won't need any seat reservations in that case. Both options will be displayed in the timetable if you enter 'Gstaad' and 'Zweisimmen' as via-stations for your journey.
Last modified on Jan 30, 2014 - 5:44 PM by Arno
cancer7782
cancer7782
5 posts
Jul 1, 2013 - 7:20 AM
Hi Annika,

I am in the midst of finalizing the arrival city as i need to make booking soon. I find that there is nothing much things that attract me in Geneva except maybe visiting the Jet d'eau, I am wondering whether Geneva will be a good option as my starting point? I have no interest in geneva museums. I plan to do boat ride in lucerne when visit to mount pilatus. I plan to visit Versailles in France so not interested in visiting Chillon. I would love to do more things related to nature. Can you please suggest whether i should change my arrival city to other place or stick to the current plan?

Thanks.
Annika
Annika
4418 posts
expert &
Jul 1, 2013 - 8:14 AM
Well, you could travel from Paris to Zurich and start your trip there. You could do either some exploration in or near Zurich, or travel directly to Lucerne if that's your main interest. From there you'd get to Lauterbrunnen and Wengen.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016