Help with trip to Switzerland in a few days!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2015 at 15:55:58 #807899

Hello! First off – I have learned so much through this great site on travel to Switzerland! Thanks to Arno and Annika!

When comparing different options for rail passes vs. renting a car, I decided to get the Swiss Half Fare Card and purchased it from Rail Europe. It is my husband, myself, and my 4 year old son traveling together. We have made Lucerne our primary base.

I have planned the following, but have a few questions:

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich @ 9am – take a train from Zurich to Lucerne. – Rest in Hotel, and in the afternoon Tour Lucerne: Lion Monument, Glacier Garden, Lake Lucerne cruise. Is there anything else to do in Lucerne?

Day 2: Early morning from Lucerne to Jungfrau – I am assuming this will take the entire day.

Day 3 : Lucerne to Mt. Titilis – is this just 1/2 day? Anything else we can do on this day in that area?

Day 4 : I would really like to see a swiss village, Cheese Factory, and my husband is interested in watch making as well. What can be recommended for his day?

Day 5 9/14: We have an evening flight to Vienna at 8pm. What can be recommended for 1/2 day in Lucerne area before we take a train to the airport?

Day 9: We arrive back in Zurich from Vienna, and we have the entire day/night in Zurich. For this day in Zurich I was planning to visit Rhine Falls and also the Thermal Spa if we have time.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as we leave in just 2 days 🙂

One more question – is there anything fun recommended as a must-do/see that we can fit into our itinerary? My friend did the hang gliding, however it does seem quite pricey. Advice on this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 September 2015 at 17:14:02 #846014

Hello mnichani,

Thanks for your nice words about our website! As for your questions:

• There’s definitely more to do in Lucerne (see our Lucerne page), but your plans will pretty much fill the rest of the day I would say. We also have a page about Zurich.
    • Day 2: this is a very long trip. It would be too long for me, but it’s doable. It takes 4h15 one way, so you’re looking at an 11+ hour day trip.
    • Day 3: this is half a day if you depart early and don’t stay too long on the top. You can do a short hike around the lake at the mid station (assuming your trip is this fall), or visit the monastery show dairy.
    • Sorry, I don’t know about watch making in the area. I think they offer demo courses in Porrentruy, but that’s in the west of Switzerland; http://www.timeexperience.ch

The above links should enable you to fill in the gaps. Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2015 at 18:27:44 #846015

Thanks for your help! What would the ideal weather be for going to Jungfrau? The weather right now looks like on Saturday it would be partly cloudy in the day. I am there from Thursday-Saturday, so I am worried that we may not be able to go looking at current weather conditions. Thoughts??

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 September 2015 at 5:28:37 #846016

You’re welcome! You need clear skies for such a trip, and if you travel from Lucerne it should be stable weather too. If not, you might see clear skies when you check the webcam in Lucerne, but it could be totally different once you have arrived. Check the forecast the prior evening and make sure to have an alternative in mind.

• The thread ‘Help with trip to Switzerland in a few days!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.