help which pass is good or should I buy one?

help which pass is good or should I buy one?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
keket
keket
1 post
Aug 4, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

I am currently in Lausanne, not yet a resident here. I have 2 friends that are arriving at Geneva airport next week, coming from Canada. We plan to roam around Lake Geneva region including Interlaken for 3 days. Then on the 4th day we head off to Berne, Zurich and Basel the final stop just to see the city in 1 day. We will have overnight in Basel, the 5th day, we will depart Basel by train to Paris. We will spend 1 day in Paris, sleep there then fly to Rome, Italy. From Rome, we will travel by train to Florence, Pisa, Venice and Milan, all these in 2 days then we will depart italy by train to Lausanne.

Do you think we can take advantage of any swiss passes?

Thanks

Arno
Arno
7726 posts
expert &
Aug 4, 2014 - 11:30 AM in reply to keket

Hi keket,

Thanks for posting here! I did move your post to the Rail forum, because you posted in the Trip Reports forum which is only for completed trips. Please feel free to post there once you're back from Switzerland. You may win a hotel voucher by doing so!

You definitely need some sort of rail pass to prevent spending too much on regular priced point to point tickets. You need at least a Swiss Half Fare Card, or possibly a 4-day Swiss Pass. Alternatively, since you also travel in France and Italy, a Eurail Pass may be even better. It all depends on your exact travel plans, including the day trips (boats, cable cars, etc.). How to choose is explained here.

The normal Canadian site (www.raileurope.ca) does not deliver to Switzerland so you can't order there. But there are some very attractive discounts if you order via www.raileurope-world.com, and they do deliver to Switzerland. Please see here for the discounts:

Mind the 8 day delivery time of that website; you need to act quickly to take advantage of these promos. Other purchase options are on our pass pages.

I hope this was useful for you!

Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 12:53 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016